Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40-2 stores?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Helios-40-2 stores? Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I would like to buy a Helios-40-2 lens. Can anybody provide any trusted e-store except from ebay? Also what should be the price for one in mint condition?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I don't know a good seller who offers these lenses, they occur on eBay every now and then.
And they are not cheap!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Papadakos.

It is very difficult to find a Helios-40-2 outside of Ebay.
This because firstly, the lens is not produced anymore, so it's not part of the regular distribution to the stores, and secondly, it was distributed at the time only in the ex-Soviet countries for most part. There's been some exeplars produced for the international market, but they were not many. So the only place to find this lens outside of Ebay is some used photo equipment store in the Ex-USSR countries, except of course the occasional Western Europe or US store, but it will not be predictable.

The price for a mint condition Helios-40-2 can easily exceed the 200 Euro. i saw one once in very good condition and with original case and filters, sold for something like 350 Euros.
Exemplars that are less complete, or with some aesthetical fault, may sell for about 200 Euros, sometimes (but rarely) down to 150.

There is also the possibility of buying a Helios-40, which is the previous model in M39 mount. The lens is of the same design, but there are some differences that make it less good as an option:

- you will need to use a M39-M42 adapter ring

- the lens base has a little relief which will not make it fit close to the M42 adapter for EOS or other modern reflex cameras. This will take away the infinity focus, although by only a very little (by stopping down to f/8 you will not notice it)

- the filter thread is the uncommon 66mm (instead of the standard 67mm of the 40-2 version). This means you can not use filters except the native ones, and you can not mount a screwmount hood on it (you have to build one yourself with cardboard, like I did). For using this lens, a hood is a must.

- the coating is less effective in stopping flare than the most recent Helioses-40-2. Flare can be a real problem on both the Helios-40 and the Helios-40-2 build in the 70s (first two digits of serial number tell the year of production). The Helios-40-2 build in the 80s performs much better flare-wise, although it appears to be still single coated (but evidently the coating is of better quality).

- the tripod mount on the Helios-40 can not be rotated so it will not allow the lens to be mounted on a tripod on a modern-day reflex camera. Not just that, on some cameras like the 400D it will make it impossible to mount the lens, so you will have to unscrew it and remove it

For the above reasons, the Helios-40 can easily be found (on Ebay) for a price around the 100 Euros only.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a short period I sold for 200 GBP. Hard to find at other place than on Ebay. My copy is came from Moscow, Russia friend of mine worked there for years. With 100% positive feedback from Russian sellers should safe to buy. If pay with PayPal and seller has PayPal protection to cover it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for the information. As it seems probably ebay is the only chance to get one.
One more question. Recently I was watching a Helios-40-B, silver model, which the seller was claiming that it was a M42 mount. It also had a tripod mount which you could rotate. Don't know if it also was accepting 67mm filters. Does anybody knows?
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis wrote:
Thanks to everybody for the information. As it seems probably ebay is the only chance to get one.
One more question. Recently I was watching a Helios-40-B, silver model, which the seller was claiming that it was a M42 mount. It also had a tripod mount which you could rotate. Don't know if it also was accepting 67mm filters. Does anybody knows?
Thanks again!

It is possible, I read somewhere that very few Helios-40 were labeled "B" and given a M42 mount. I don't know about the filter thread though. I think it's likely it was still the odd 66mm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my 40-2 today Smile

In excellent condition with serial number starting with 83 as Orio advised. Fast delivery,9 days to Wentzville, Mo. Not cheap but less than some on ebay. Just opened the box, looking for my M42 adaptor. Smile
Here is the link to DVDtech. BTW, they sell pentacon 6 to EOS adaptors for around 35.00USD.

http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I just received my 40-2 today Smile
In excellent condition with serial number starting with 83 as Orio advised. Fast delivery,9 days to Wentzville, Mo. Not cheap but less than some on ebay. Just opened the box, looking for my M42 adaptor. Smile
Here is the link to DVDtech. BTW, they sell pentacon 6 to EOS adaptors for around 35.00USD.
http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/index.htm

Congratulations Bob!!!
And now I'm looking forward to your pictures with it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations you are a proud owner one of the best lenses! Is this a great filling isn't it ?