Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Having fun with the old stuff: Olympus E-1 and Spiratone 105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Having fun with the old stuff: Olympus E-1 and Spiratone 105 Reply with quote

Many of you know this M42 lens, a preset one with good colouring and sharpness. Mine is an OEM version labelled Mayfair Sankor.
I use it on the E-1 with a baffled adapter and a 20mm ARTO M2 extension tube.
All the pictures f8-11 but the one with the small dof, that was shot at f2.5

The camera and the lens:

And the samples:

I'm having much more fun withe the old cams (E-1 and *istDS) than with the newer ones...

Last edited by Jesito on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This T-mount Sankor lens is one of my favorites, great samples! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great detail, sharpness, and contrast. Very nice samples!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, the lens obviously matches your high standards Jesito. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots with vibrant colors,I like the cat nose shots Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Thanks Smile. (This mine is M42 anyway...)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
Great detail, sharpness, and contrast. Very nice samples!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Very good, the lens obviously matches your high standards Jesito. Cool

Thanks, Lloydy Smile Very kind from your side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Lovely shots with vibrant colors,I like the cat nose shots Very Happy

Thanks, Mo. I'm enjoying a lot the viewfinder again, (I sold the K-01). I don't know exactly why but focusing on the LCD screen is a pain for my sight. At least these are in focus Smile

Last edited by Jesito on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looking really good!!

Thanks Klaus!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand,I enjoy the G1 for the VF even though it has some small issues as well. Just asking another question, can you still find adapters easily for the four thirds system?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an Olympus user before I moved on to SONY. E1 is a magical camera indeed! It ergonomics is THE best of all cameras, and on low ISOs it gives tremendous pictures. Too bad that Olympus killed it's E system, it could evolve into something really great! While it's Micro system dos not appeal to me at all so I moved to SONY.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Are U sure about the mount? Have you tried to screw the rear ring? I`ve had several copies of that lens and all where T-mount lenses. Surprised
(I doesn`t really matter, but I just want to know if they also made this lens in native m42)

The extender was very nice and match the design nicely Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fun shots!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I understand,I enjoy the G1 for the VF even though it has some small issues as well. Just asking another question, can you still find adapters easily for the four thirds system?

Hi Mo,
I keep all my old 4/3 adapters. I use them on the EPL-3 with a cheap 4/3 to micro 4/3 chinese adapter. I haven't had any recent need for new 4/3 adapters, if you look for "4/3" in eBay the results are mostly for micro 4/3, but if you look for "Olympus E-1 adapter" you will see that there are still many on sale.

( http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_odkw=4%2F3+adapter&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=olympus+e-1+adapter&_sacat=0 )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:
I was an Olympus user before I moved on to SONY. E1 is a magical camera indeed! It ergonomics is THE best of all cameras, and on low ISOs it gives tremendous pictures. Too bad that Olympus killed it's E system, it could evolve into something really great! While it's Micro system dos not appeal to me at all so I moved to SONY.

Thanks for commenting. I also did that, the short register distance on the Sony cams (18mm), that allows mounting almost anything, called my interest. But at the end I find more fun on the old stuff, Sony puts too much correction on their own lenses and sometimes the old glass is somewhat difficult to use (like the wides). I feel much more comfortable with the *istDS or the E-1 than with the NEX-7....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Are U sure about the mount? Have you tried to screw the rear ring? I`ve had several copies of that lens and all where T-mount lenses. Surprised
(I doesn`t really matter, but I just want to know if they also made this lens in native m42)

The extender was very nice and match the design nicely Wink

Well, I couldn't swear on it, but I put the lens on a M42 adapter and I think I reach infinity... Anyway I'll try that again to confirm.
(Maybe they did a M42 version for Mayfair...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
fun shots!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice pictures. That proves that the E-1 is still a very capable camera. It also inspires me to get mine and put the Lennon 105/2.5 on it. I think this lens is very similar to your copy. Difference is that my lens has a T-mount thread and that I have to use it with either M42 or K bayonet adapter. I am curious to read if your copy has the T-mount thread though. Regards, Cliff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the delay in answering, home care takes a lot of my time...

Here you have a couple of shots on the mount itself, I would say it's M42:

Also, a M42 cap full screws in, (if it were a T2 with thread pitch of .75mm it would screw a few turns only).

What do you think?

(These taken with the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro, 52BB, on the Pentax *istDS)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus macro set by Cliff-SP3, on Flickr

Hallo Jesito, above a copy of my lens. It seems quite similar to your copy. The M42 thread ring on mine can be screwed off. Then on the tube is the T2 thread. I will post more of my lens later this week. Regards, Cliff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR= praktica? perhaps it does screw off?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
PR= praktica? perhaps it does screw off?

Hi Mo,
As it is, it doesn't. I¡ll try to remove the three screws around, maybe they fix a T2-M42 adapter...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnf_spedition wrote:
Olympus macro set by Cliff-SP3, on Flickr

Hallo Jesito, above a copy of my lens. It seems quite similar to your copy. The M42 thread ring on mine can be screwed off. Then on the tube is the T2 thread. I will post more of my lens later this week. Regards, Cliff.

Thanks, Cliff. It seems so, mine is almost identical to yours, maybe Praktica sold them with the fixed adapter on each lens....
I'll try to unscrew it after remobving the locking screws.