Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Having Fun with the 126 Format
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Having Fun with the 126 Format Reply with quote

I've been snapping a lot of images with the Zeiss Contaflex 126, and its cadre of lenses. It's a lot of fun using this old format of 26x26mm.

Here are various samples - a night shot, a black and white, and a deep forest shot. The black and white was processed in a home darkroom using 35mm reel. The color versions were developed in lab. The lab cannot print these, but they can develop them right along with 35mm film, as the width of the emulsion is the same.

These are for "quality control" purposes, but I thought I would share the "trip" with the forum. Very Happy Slightly cropped here and there...

Turbine
Sonnar 85
Ferrania 200 print film

Deep in the Woods
Tele-Tessar 135
Ferrania 200 print film

Stone Parapet
Tessar 45
Verichrome Pan 125

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very graphical & picturals shots, perfect for displays in livingroom !

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid ! The first one reminds me Metropolis.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

My exact thought. The part where they are up in the office watching the factories thru the window. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots with strong comps, all three! So, Larry, are you thinking of
buying this cam/lenses?

(I've yet to see Metropolis, will have to check out the DVD thru Netflix,
thanks for reminding me!)

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

yes, splendid and nice square format

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys! I am rather astonished at the ease and fun of the cartridge film. The shot of the Turbine does look like Metropolis, as you indicated. When I took it, it almost looked foreboding, like some science-fiction time machine just waiting to wind itself up. This is actually the powerhouse at the Cushman generator on Hood Canal.

I will be trying my hand at "practicing" to respool 35mm film into a 126 cartridge today.

Bill, I now own the whole setup - camera and lenses. Those Zeiss lenses were just too sweet in 'feel' and smoothness and mass to ignore. I use a hearing aid battery in the camera, which takes the place of the mercury cell quite nicely. Metering is consistent with my hand held meter. Scanning is just as easy as 35mm film.

And you know me....I love the square format. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots, Larry.
Back in the dim and distant, I'm sure I recall seeing re-loadable 126 cartridges for sale, but you'd be uncommonly lucky to find one now. Who knows what's lying around in cupboards across the world, though and somebody might discover one or two of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Lovely shots, Larry.
Back in the dim and distant, I'm sure I recall seeing re-loadable 126 cartridges for sale, but you'd be uncommonly lucky to find one now. Who knows what's lying around in cupboards across the world, though and somebody might discover one or two of them.

I'm sure there ARE some lying around somewhere. But, if I'm able to do a good job of reloading them myself, I will enjoy experimenting with all kinds of film...maybe even my two favorites Velvia and Provia! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"powerhouse at the Cushman generator on Hood Canal"

These places are pure modern art, I always thought.

Nice and unusual interest there !

There is a very nice Kodak Instamatic Reflex camera out there, that uses the Schneider Retina Reflex lenses that also goes for next to nothing, and unlike its 35mm brothers these seem to be working, usually.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very very first camera used those cartridges:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember using 126 film cartridges, I actually scanned some old negs the other day. I agree Laurence, the square format is a more suitable shape for some pictures, just like 6x6.

My camera wasn't in your league though! I think it was a Hanimex Instamatic. I didn't realise there was any real quality 126 gear - your camera and set of lenses is absolutely gorgeous!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
My very very first camera used those cartridges:

Totally COOL! Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis and peter: The Instamatic 500 was a superb camera in its day, with the Xenar lens. In fact, it still IS superb, and still going strong with users. Also, I think it was a nice looking piece of gear: