Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Harvestman Eyes Through Leitz Wetzlar Photar 25mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Harvestman Eyes Through Leitz Wetzlar Photar 25mm Reply with quote

There is not much arthropod fauna around as we approach the start of spring. Most that is to be found, in my garden, is on, or mostly under, rotting wood on the ground.

This individual was on the cut end of a log, with a step in the cut just to its right (my left) which limited the shooting and lighting angles. It was about finger nail size, its legs extended and somewhat flattened. At such a magnification, the DOF is tiny, making shooting at two angles for stereo challenging. However, I got more "keepers" that expected.

I recently posted some old images which were similar but probably of a different species and larger individual. Those were with the 50mm Photar.

The stereos are crosseye.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Leitz Wetzlar Photar 25mm f2.5 macro at f16, twin TTL flash, hand-held with support.

For this series of Photar 25mm images the lens was on almost 100mm extension. The images are uncropped. FOV ca 3.7mm wide.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handheld??? Shocked
Stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Handheld??? Shocked
Stunning!

Thanks. Flash freezes hand shake, within reason, and I got some support from the substrate.

Framing the subject at this magnification is, by far, the most difficult of all my lenses. At half the magnification it is not nearly so difficult, a factor of 2 being much more significant than I would have expected, as a very experienced macro enthusiast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short working distance (ca 20mm) combines with the wide tubes to make access to subjects in their environment difficult. The current adapter is for Olympus OM, with an external diameter of 60mm. I have now ordered one for M42 (43mm external), which will go nicely onto my tubes and helicoids used for other lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stereo.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Framing the subject at this magnification is, by far, the most difficult of all my lenses.

That is what I had in mind in the first place!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
Framing the subject at this magnification is, by far, the most difficult of all my lenses.

That is what I had in mind in the first place!

I am far from inexperienced at that FOV, shooting a lot of slime moulds and small fungi. The working distance is half that of the Laowa 25mm, which I have used a lot in recent months.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw another of the same species today. This time, I could get a lower angle. I shot at f16 on the extension for x2.5, FOV ca 7mm.

Here is a single frame and a crosseye stereo: