Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hartblei 80mm f2.8 Super Rotator
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Hartblei 80mm f2.8 Super Rotator Reply with quote

Hello

Found this one and it seemd to me pretty interesting ( MC Hartblei 80mm f2.8 Super Rotator ):

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?Hartblei_80mm_2.8.html
http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/general_info.htm
http://www.pbase.com/varix/mchartblei80mm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/hartblei_80_28/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's an interesting lens. Haven't seen many of these around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Pentacon shift adapter solution is that the widest P6 lens that I have is a MIR-26B 45mm, which is too narrow on a 135 camera.
Hartblei provides a 35mm lens, which is much more useful - but unfortunately, also much more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
You can buy a tilt adapter for around 120-130$ on ebay, which enables you to mount pentacon 6 lenses on it. A biometar 80 goes for about 100$.

I agree. This is a pretty nice solution. Even with 45mm you will see the effect. It, at least, is a very slight wide angel (almost a "normal" lens), but still...

BTW, doesn't this

look like a Star Trek gadget? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I agree. This is a pretty nice solution. Even with 45mm you will see the effect. It, at least, is a very slight wide angel (almost a "normal" lens), but still..

The problem is that with 42° field angle you can not shoot buildings unless you can go very distant. A 35mm lens (63°) is not ideal either but is much more useable.

I'm speaking of strict correction shifting of course. Also keep in mind that when vertical-shifting you lose field angle at both sides.

For wild effects, anything can work. I simply keep the unmounted lens in front of the camera opening and tilt as desired. Cost = 0 Eur.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, as far as I know has a 45mm lens at a 35mm-film-cam an angle of about 51° and at a 1.6-crop-cam of about 32°.
Which confirms your opinion for APS-DSLRs but for full-frame it is not too bad.

Of course, for serious architectural shots, you're completely right!
(And your Zero-Euro-solution for experiments also is a good idea. Wink)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hartblei provides a 35mm lens, which is much more useful - but unfortunately, also much more expensive.

I bought last year the Arax version of this 35/2.8 tilt/shift lens. The price was reasonable ($369) and I found the lens great for this price. I just checked the Arax Photo website and the price is now $594 for the same lens! It doesn't look much like a bargain anymore, even though I still love the results I get from mine:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your photos Abbazz, the last one in particular. After checking at the Hartblei companies website. They do now have a 35 2.8 with the super twist. It appearently has a 12 bladed iris and sells for $900 new in most mounts. It seems spendy. For me I shoot yashica/contax for small format. A PC distagon 35 2.8 can be found for about $1500 but usually much more. Maybe the Hartblei has more control of focus plane and is a better buy. I'm not sure which I would choose. If you want to just have fun with interesting focus ability. How can you beat the lensbaby for only $150new? It is silly to look at and subject to flare but lots of fun : Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

I bought last year the Arax version of this 35/2.8 tilt/shift lens. The price was reasonable ($369) and I found the lens great for this price.

hm... to be sincere, I quite dislike the bokeh there. But on the other hand, this kind of bokeh would not occur on the kind of photographs I would make with a shift lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, I like your shots, although in the first two the bokeh is rather harsh, isn't it.
The third one is fantastic. It shows this well-know "miniature" effect!

This shot also was made with some kind of tilt/shift lens:

With my Novar-Anastigmat 1:4.5/105 (taken from a pre-war Zeiss Ikon Nettar) and adapted to my EOS350D.

Another example:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
You can also buy a shit adapter for about 60$

I bought a couple of them - didn't cost that much, though.
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I like your photos Abbazz, the last one in particular.

Thanks for your kind words.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
After checking at the Hartblei companies website. They do now have a 35 2.8 with the super twist. It appearently has a 12 bladed iris and sells for $900 new in most mounts. It seems spendy.

Yes, that's my point. These lenses (the Hartblei and the Arax share the same optical assembly, the Hartblei being better constructed and having a 12 bladed iris) have become too pricier for what they are. When the price was below $400, it seemed right to me for a tilt/shift lens with less than outstanding build quality, rather average sharpness wide open and harsh bokeh. If I had to buy it today, i'd consider I don't use this lens enough to justify to pay $600 (Arax) or $900 (Hartblei) and, if I were willing to invest that kind of money, I'd rather buy a Canon T/S lens.

For experimenting with tilt/shift lenses, I think it's a much better deal to buy a tilt or shift adapter + a cheap MF lens as suggested by Katzer, or to engineer a home made contraption like Lucis Pictor. I am not so fond of Lens Babies, which I find greatly overpriced for such basic devices.

Cheers,

Abbazz