Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Harmann Direct Positive + Ancient Kodak Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Harmann Direct Positive + Ancient Kodak Lens Reply with quote

I've had a LOT of trouble figuring out Harmann's direct positive paper. It has a very narrow exposure range and overexposing it turns it to negative paper, something I want to master but haven't yet. I also haven't pinpointed the ISO yet, but suspect it to be somewhere around 2 or 3.

Work gave us all a few hours off on Christmas Eve, so I managed six shots with Harmann paper, four of which turned out (kind of). For two of these I used a Kodak 112mm f7.7 (I think, or maybe an f6.3) that came off an old 1A or similar camera. I picked it up for about $12 without the camera, so I'm not 100% certain where it came from.

Here are those shots:

I'm really pleased by the detail. I picked this as the first shot to see how it would perform at f32. Full coverage on 4X5 (with VERY limited movement), good sharpness, and reasonable contrast.

Put in a little bit of rear tilt (which is possible when the subject requires a bit of bellows extension) and the results look pretty good. I believe this was f16.

Here with my Caltar 165mm f6.8 for comparison. Same shot (different rotation because in the above image I like that rotation better). I also made this a mirror image so that it looks like the real thing instead of being reversed.

This was seriously overexposed. At f64 (again with the 112mm lens) this was a 24-ish-second exposure. I found earlier this year that at around 5 stops over exposed the tones begin to go negative. At about 15 stops, a very faint negative image appears.

Direct Positive paper is still really hard to work with for me. But at least I feel like I'm closer to cracking the code.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a google search
site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info Alessandro Bocchi

This person, Alessandro Bocchi, gives a good bit of detail on his shots using the Harmon Direct Positive Paper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, I like the first and third.

I've just started working with paper, in my case old Agfa Brovira, and it's tricky, I rate it at ISO 3.

The Kodak lens will be a 4 elements in 4 groups Dialyte, I have a 170mm version from a 3A folder. They are very sharp but lower contrast due to 8 air-glass surfaces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bocchi's work is top-notch. He seems to have this medium nailed-down better than anyone else out there. This is still my first box of the stuff, so it's a big learning curve. But these images are actual images, and that's a whole lot better than what I had been getting.

I'm going to try ISO 3 next time and take the camera and lenses out for an actual hike. I have a couple film backs with Ektar loaded for red scale that I'd like to play with, too.