Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hacking lenses: Vivitar 2/24mm (Kiron) and MACRO mode
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Hacking lenses: Vivitar 2/24mm (Kiron) and MACRO mode Reply with quote

You remove the mount. And Aperture ring. Then remove scale ring by unscrewing three mini-screws.

You'll see two pins acting as focusing ring blocker. Remove first one from left. This way focusing ring will be able to proceed under minimum focusing distance. Don't worry the system won't unscrew, there is still one pin left now having two stopping functions: at infinity and at macro.

And macro it is: now you will be able to reach 10cm!

I wonder why this wasn't enabled by default.

Quick samples:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this long ago with a Kiron 28. Due to the longer focal length the difference wasn't as great. I'm sure the designers were being conservative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!

Thanks and of course, a little experimentation on other lenses might also bring additional range to them, at close or closer focus!!

This almost deserves to be a mass mailout or something?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, interesting. I always like my lens to be able to go as close as possible. But I need to get a kiron 24/2 first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting!

I think I have the same lens hacked for only close focus work, saw yesterday the front name ring between some other rings I searched through (for microsope lens work).
But your extended focussing range sounds better, no extra lens needed.

A Fd 20/2.8 I tried to convert to EOS, didn´t work for EOS 5D because of the mirror. After that I used it for close distances:
http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Sonstiges/slides/Marienkaefer.html

But quality was not as high as I want it.