Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Great idea!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Great idea! Reply with quote

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6fMcJ18aA
Fantastic trick!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you dont have visual control on what you are filming, unless you use an external monitor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you would be ok if the camera has an articulated lcd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
But you dont have visual control on what you are filming, unless you use an external monitor.

You use a tripod, so you can check first and then start to record.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I guess you would be ok if the camera has an articulated lcd

It must be a professional tripod then, with stops. If the tripod has no stops, it will be impossible to end the panoramic in a precise point without looking in the finder or in the liveview (which would be nearly impossible in a sunlight day).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a clever idea, but it does not solve all problems.
Also, until your pano is horizontal, ok... but if it mixes horizontal and vertical movements (like starting from a hill and ending on a plain), or even worse, if your pano also needs zooming in or out (a very common situation), the trick will be of no use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
if your pano also needs zooming in or out (a very common situation), the trick will be of no use

you can use 2 rubber band, one for the pan & one for the zoom with a stick like this one
http://www.vimeo.com/4270555
and before you ask, yes you will need to keep the remote control between your tooth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

you can use 2 rubber band, one for the pan & one for the zoom with a stick

Of course. That was really stupid to ask Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a new trick and it's limited in utility. It might help smooth out a move on a cheaper tripod but try doing that in the field when it's windy or cold. Or how about at a wedding? "Hey, who's the guy with the rubber band?"

Anyway, if you're stuck with a bad tripod it can help to some degree.