Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got this lens: Industar-50 f3.5/50mm M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Got this lens: Industar-50 f3.5/50mm M39 Reply with quote

I'll receive this lens in a month or so.
I was looking at the threads here and it seems it's a pretty good lens (correct me if I'm wrong).

Theoretically I should be able to mount it on the 7D using a M39 to M42 mount adapters, is that correct?
Also, is this lens radioactive somehow? I know other Industar are, like the 61 L/D where they used a bit of Lanthanum.

Thanks for any info.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has two types:
SLR looks a pancaker shorter than it's diameter it is usable on your Canon with an M39-M42-Canon EOS adapter.

Quality is copy dependent I found contrast less very avarage one excellent contrasty one also.

Another one is made for RF cameras taller than it's diameter looks a pancake lens+tube.

If you can show a picture I can help in identification.

I have no clue about it's radioactivity as an ex nuclear plant worker I not worry about any lens radiactivity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the silver M39 Industar 50 and it's a lens that produces REALLY vintage images! Especially on full frame. Contrast is low and the glass on mine seems yellowed, so perhaps it might be radioactive? Not sure why though, it's not exactly a fast lens!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the lens:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one exactly the same, and I've had some good results from it mounted on my Pentax K10, where it looks lost!

I don't use it much as it's a very awkward lens to use on the K10, so it's on an old Praktica MTL 50 at the moment, where it feels right at home.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Industar 50/3.5 on a set of extension tubes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another example of it on tubes. The pencil points at the subject area of the map.

It is a sweet little lens but slow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Use it on Bellows Reply with quote

I use mine on some macro Bellows and it works a treat, also pretty good for building shots but agree its quite fiddle to adjust aperture but worth the effort.
Radioactive? well mine glows in the dark so maybe your right Shocked Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.
I guess I'll have some fun with this tiny lens. Hope to post something as soon as I'll get it.

@ revers: good to see that works fine on extensions tube too! it seems pretty sharp. That's definitely something I'll try.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jumped on a silver one. It seems in mint condition.
I'll mount it on the bellows I received a few days ago.

Thank you Ron for your samples. They pushed me to take it. Very Happy

Pietro, any samples ? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a black one (M42) that gave me rather disappointing low contrast results. But after some cleaning it became brilliant - the lens was just filthy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 silver versions and a black 50-2. The early silver version is marked as a 5cm; it vignettes and is not as sharp, the later silver has little vignetting and is quite sharp. The black 50-2 is very sharp at any aperture. I find I use the 1st version for effect and the last for a small 50 when space is tight.