Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got a really nice Zeiss 50mm, but what mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Got a really nice Zeiss 50mm, but what mount? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just looking for some help regarding a C.Z. Jena 50mm f/2.8 Tessar I got for next to nothing.

I'm not sure what mount it is as it's not fitting any of the m42 adapters or cameras I own.

i am wondering if it's an exakta mount?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as it appears to be a fantastic lens through what I've been able to shoot of it on my 5DSr with an m42 adapter (it's a few mm out from the adapter so maximum focus is about 5ft currently! great for portraits but not much else..)

This is the mount in question:

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/darryl_scot-walker/32387274528/sizes/o/[/img]

(can't seem to get the image to post, so here's a link to the image..)

"http://i67.tinypic.com/qmxbpl.jpg"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anyone could also explain how I can post images in threads that'd be awesome! >.<

The URL in the post above does link to an image of the thread in question though..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images are not allowed in your first post (SPAM protection). It will work now, but for the sake of simplicity I'll post it:

I'm not sure which mount it is, though. The default should be M42, I think. Maybe it's a modified version for M39 or T-mount? Have you measured the diameter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lens a few mm out because the thread gets stuck? If yes, then it's a T-mount. Or is because the back of the lens hits the flange of the adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like plain old m42 to me. http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/411-carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-t-50mm-f-2-8-16-preset

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 pin is not there because lens is a preset aperture lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Looks like plain old m42 to me.

Agreed!
Exacta mount is a very definite bayonet mount which is small enough to fit inside a 42-screw mount, (though it obviously doesn't engage or register)

It might be useful to see what M42 adaptors the lens "doesn't fit into" and how. Is the thread physically too large (really weird!) or maybe it's a 39mm thread for one of the more obscure cameras of the day?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I did neglect to mention; I've got a Praktica VF body with M42 lens mount. It fits that, but it appears to go too far towards the shutter and prevents the mirror moving when fired.

(I'll double check this when I get in, but IIRC that is the case).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Agreed!
Exacta mount is a very definite bayonet mount which is small enough to fit inside a 42-screw mount, (though it obviously doesn't engage or register)

It might be useful to see what M42 adaptors the lens "doesn't fit into" and how. Is the thread physically too large (really weird!) or maybe it's a 39mm thread for one of the more obscure cameras of the day?

I've got another M42 adaptor (somewhere) in the house, so I'll check this when I get back later...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
kypfer wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Agreed!

I've got another M42 adaptor (somewhere) in the house, so I'll check this when I get back later...

Some m42 adapters have a shoulder inside of them that depresses the aperture pin to make a the aperture stop down. This lens wouldn't fit those because the back of it extends so for beyond the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

Some m42 adapters have a shoulder inside of them that depresses the aperture pin to make a the aperture stop down. This lens wouldn't fit those because the back of it extends so for beyond the thread.

So had a check last night and it would appear the EOS/M42 adaptors I've used do have a shelf at the back for the pin, so I've sourced one on amazon that appears to be constant throughout the width of the thread. (both appear to be the same, but I believe I bought another similar one since the AF confirm chip on the first one wasn't working..)

One question though, given that my Helios 44-2 hits the mirror when focused at infinity on a full-frame (5DSr), I presume I'm going to face the same issue with this then?

I'm not overly bothered (apart from forgetting too often NOT to focus at infinity when shooting normally) given I can use live view but it'd be good to know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

One question though, given that my Helios 44-2 hits the mirror when focused at infinity on a full-frame (5DSr), I presume I'm going to face the same issue with this then?

I'm not overly bothered (apart from forgetting too often NOT to focus at infinity when shooting normally) given I can use live view but it'd be good to know.

Probably. Canon has a short flange focal distance for a DSLR . You could compare it to your 44-2 to see whether it extends as far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

Some K to eos adapters mount lens at angle to avoid lens rear parts collision with mirror box.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a Praktiflex mount.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been intended for an Edixa.
Those are M42 also but have smaller mirrors. Other oddities is on auto models the pin plate (that pushed the M42 auto stop down pin) was offset from normal M42.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the tips so far!

I'm determined to get this thing in use, it's just gorgeous! Very Happy

So for an uppdate.

I've got it working via live view as it does go back further than the Heilios I've got. So it's a bit more difficult to get on and off to avoid mirror contact before live view, but I'll live....

I've only had a chance to do some hip shots at Picadilly Circus earlier, shooting from wide open to around f//5.6 at 800 iso, 1/125 to 1/60 ish.. Sharpness isn't great but I wasn't stable either.

In short, it's all about the contrast. Below shot is full frame DSLR, with only a touch of contrast boost. Exposure as shot.

Further research to be done for sure. The extension tube box it came in does mention Praktica, Pentax and Edixa. Given this was all bought in 50s, I'm guessing it's an Edixa maybe??

Going to ask seller for more info.. Very Happy

(above shot is also cropped to pretty much bottom left corner. Full size via here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darryl_scot-walker/46288705941/sizes/l/ )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Thanks so much for the tips so far!
In short, it's all about the contrast. Below shot is full frame DSLR, with only a touch of contrast boost. Exposure as shot.

That's a Tessar in a nutshell! All about contrast! I often thought the fixed-lens Tessar on my old Contaflex gave me more "punch" than any other lens I had at the time, whilst still retaining good shadow and highlight detail. The only reason I got rid of it was it's lack of interchangeability and being offered a "can't say no" price for the camera as a collectors' item.

The (probably) ex-Practika Tessar I now have is every bit as good. Just don't seem to use it enough!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is going to be off my canon now tbh...

(admittedly it being a tad awkward might have something to do with that.. Very Happy )

Here's an album of a few unprocessed shots, I can't wait to try it with a bit more light and see how sharp it is at the other end..)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/darryl_scot-walker/AnTA0Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and colour..

(unprocessed)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the tessar formula was used by so many manufacturers for so many years (since 1902!). Simple optical formula (4 elements) pretty sharp, especially in center, decent contrast. The colors are more a function though of the specific glass formulation. Zeiss has always been good at matching the eye view colors (aka neutral vs warm or cold) In the early days before coatings it was very important to minimize glass to lens interface as a high percentage(~10% IIRC) of the light was reflected off the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
There is a reason the tessar formula was used by so many manufacturers for so many years (since 1902!). Simple optical formula (4 elements) pretty sharp, especially in center, decent contrast. The colors are more a function though of the specific glass formulation. Zeiss has always been good at matching the eye view colors (aka neutral vs warm or cold) In the early days before coatings it was very important to minimize glass to lens interface as a high percentage(~10% IIRC) of the light was reflected off the surface.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving..

That's a completely unprocessed shot taken at 1/60, wide open, handhelld this morning..

Focusing is a bit difficult as the focus ring is stiff at extremes and also with the live view, it requires the lens being unscrewed a bit before turning on/off to allow the mirror to move.. Thankfully I've also got three batteries for the DSLR! >.<

Regarding that, would I be ccorrect in assuming this isn't as much an issue with mirrorless? I'm thinking of upgrading from my fuji x100t to a mirrorless model of theirs to get a bit more flexibility, and also use other lenses if possible. The Tessar (with a bit of greasing) would be an awesome street photography lens..

As for coatings, from what I gather this is an uncoated model as there's no red T on the front.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Zeiss Jena? Their helicals are known for increasing stiffness over time. Coatings were not ubiquitous in the early era's so the lack of a code is pretty good evidence. The other thing is you can see coatings. It will give a color cast to the light reflected off the surface of the lens. Some of early ones are decidedly blue looking. Other coatings over the years and from different companies give differing color cast eg Jupiter lenses from the early years generally look goldish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23,

Sorry for coming in late.

The lens is indeed M42 and the right register for Contax-Pentacon/Pentax/Edixa etc, but specifically for the early Prakticas without the stop-down actuator inside the lens throat. As far as I can tell, there had never been an agreed standard for the amount and shape of intrusion into the lens mount of the camera body for these cameras, so the earliest Prakticas with no iris operation and smaller mirrors allowed the lens to have greater intrusion.

As more functionality is added, the ostensibly "universal" M42 mount sees increased incompatibility. For Prakticas, the addition of the stop-down actuator caused trouble with these earlier lenses. To allow for the use of these lenses, Prakticas had a mechanism that disengages the actuator: with the lens off, look into the throat of your VF: the actuator has exposed linkage system with a slider switch with a red dot in the middle. With a suitable tool, you can slide it to the right and that disengages the actuator, thus allowing these lenses to be used with the shutter running normally; this feature was discontinued since the Super TL.

Many adapters for fitting M42 lenses to other camera bodies have a flange that forces the stop-down actuator pin at its backto be pushed in, rendering the iris to be fully manual in operation, thus eliminating the likelihood of the user setting a smaller aperture on the lens, but then the iris fails to stop down during exposure. Pentax made this mistake when the K-series was introduced where it has the same flange distance as their M42-mount cameras, so the adapter sits inside the lens mount's throat without the flange to force the lens iris to go manual; I am quite sure that countless pictures had suffered from over-exposure due to this. But it is this flange that prevents an early lens with greater intrusion, like yours, to be properly screwed home to provide a full focussing range.

Also, your particular lens is quite easy to service; disassembly for removing the old helicoid grease and replacing it with something better, like Helimax-XP, would enhance its usability appreciably.

Hope this is of some interest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Gott23,

Sorry for coming in late.

The lens is indeed M42 and the right register for Contax-Pentacon/Pentax/Edixa etc, but specifically for the early Prakticas without the stop-down actuator inside the lens throat. As far as I can tell, there had never been an agreed standard for the amount and shape of intrusion into the lens mount of the camera body for these cameras, so the earliest Prakticas with no iris operation and smaller mirrors allowed the lens to have greater intrusion.

Also, your particular lens is quite easy to service; disassembly for removing the old helicoid grease and replacing it with something better, like Helimax-XP, would enhance its usability appreciably.

Hope this is of some interest.

Thanks for that, pretty much completes the picture. I had a few more words with the seller and he reckoned it was from the late 50s.

With the shoulderless mount it's working a lot better, but it has to be shot with live view to avoid the mirror hitting the rear of it. I really do want to try it for portraits though so for that kind of thing, shooting that way isn't as much of an issue.

I will have to bone up on greasing though, my experiences with this lens have kind of led to me acquiring a few more given how cheap they are. I've been blown away by a late 135 f/3.5 MC I just bought.. And theres a Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 I got cheap (again) but this time with the proviso that it has stiff focusing...

On that note, are there any noteable yet affordable wide angle CZ Jena primes?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Thanks for that, pretty much completes the picture. I had a few more words with the seller and he reckoned it was from the late 50s.

With the shoulderless mount it's working a lot better, but it has to be shot with live view to avoid the mirror hitting the rear of it. I really do want to try it for portraits though so for that kind of thing, shooting that way isn't as much of an issue.

I will have to bone up on greasing though, my experiences with this lens have kind of led to me acquiring a few more given how cheap they are. I've been blown away by a late 135 f/3.5 MC I just bought.. And theres a Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 I got cheap (again) but this time with the proviso that it has stiff focusing...

On that note, are there any noteable yet affordable wide angle CZ Jena primes?

Gott23,

I have several Pancolars and I must admit that they are nightmares to work on, compared to their counterparts from Görlitz: the Meyer-built Oreston/Pentacon lenses are more or less designed in a modular fashion, where the parts are grouped into self-contained sub-assemblies and can be individually worked on if needed, and then they all come together for final assembly, making them real joys to work on. On the other hand, the Jena designers totally ignore the ease of repair, when you want to reach something you have to take everything apart with bits all over the desk; I would not really recommend working on it if you are a novice!

But the Tessar like yours is easy to work on, start by taking off the two screws at the back and work your way in, taking copious notes along the way, and make special note on where the helicoid drive comes apart. My personal method is to wrap thin masking tape around the focussing scale, and I stop unscrewing the moment they come apart, and then mark on the tape where the focussing index is pointing; this would make reassembly much easier.

Regarding Jena-made wide-angles, you do not really have too much of a choice beyond Flektogons, I'm afraid they're also designed the same way as the Pancolars, except the first version without automatic iris. A good Flektogon can be very satisfactory indeed, there again, there should be other lenses of comparable performance out there at more sensible price points too.