Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got a G1, now which lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Got a G1, now which lenses? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm pretty much a photography beginner (not a n00b though).
I've just got a G1 recently with the kit 14-45mm. Although image quality is good, I'm not too impressed with its pedestrian speed which pretty much means it's only going to be used outdoors.

Luckily I have a couple of old MF lenses for Konica AR: a 50/1.7 and 135/2.8 so I got the AR-m43 adapter.

Now I'm looking to - cheaply (since I'm just a beginner) - fill the gaps in my lens collection. I'm interested in many types of photography: macro, scenery, street, portraits.

So I think I probably need to get a faster lens in the 24-28mm area. And perhaps something in the 50-135 gap (90mm?)

What other lenses do you think I should get?
Also, I noticed the Konica lens selection on ebay is not very diverse (in the low price range at least), what mount do you think I should focus on (assuming I don't want to buy many adapters)?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

welcome here.

Actually there are some threads about m4/3 and respective lenses.

You can die only one death. If you don´t like to buy different adapters I would look for more Konica Hexanon lenses.

Look also here within this forum. There are a lot of samples available.

The 3.5/28 mm Konica isn´t very expensive, but it is not fast. Between 50 and 100mm you can try to get a 1.8/85 mm Hexanon, very good quality - price approx. 150 to 200 €.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The 28/3.5 and the vivitar 28/2.5 seem to be the cheap options for konica.

Since there isn't much of a selection of konica's I'm definitely willing to get another adapter. But which one? Canon FD, Nikon F, Leica M, Minolta SR, M42, etc. ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would buy for WW the 1.7/20mm pancake and as explained before for the 80-90mm the Hexanon 1.8/85mm.

Older 24-28mm lenses are normally f:2.8 or f:3.5 so not really fast. Faster samples are very expensive today - so I think the actual 1.7/20mm is the best solution.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
If I were you I would buy for WW the 1.7/20mm pancake and as explained before for the 80-90mm the Hexanon 1.8/85mm.

Older 24-28mm lenses are normally f:2.8 or f:3.5 so not really fast. Faster samples are very expensive today - so I think the actual 1.7/20mm is the best solution.
Wink

Fully agree with you Rolf!
The 20mm 1.7 is an excellent lens with a nice bokeh and fine colouring.

I had one of these for a few days. It was difficult to return it...

1. The bokeh and colouring:

2. Sharp in closeups:

3. Good colouring even in nasty gray days:

4. Perfect for street shooting.

5. I like it for reflection type pictures.

All in all a little gem.

Kind regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the 40/1.8, dirt cheap on evilbay. I agree with others that you should get the Panny 20/1.7, you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a Minolta MC/MD adapter. Minolta MC & MD Rokkor lenses are often cheap, and many of them are very, very good.

Suggested lenses:

28mm MC or MD Rokkor. You can get them in F2, F2.5, F2.8 & F3.5

35mm MC or MD Rokkor in F1.8 or F2.8

50mm MC or MD Rokkor in F1.4, F1.7, F2

58mm MC Rokkor in F1.4

85mm MD Rokkor in F2

135mm MC or MD Rokkor in F2.8 or F3.5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta bayonet lenses are very nice too

try pancolar 50/2 Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD lenses are generally reasonable with exception of a few highly sought after ones (50/1.2L, 85/1.2L, long & fast 'L' telephotos).

I've got a FD adapter and tried the 50 Macro, and will test more later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20mm looks really good. I actually thought about getting the GF1 with the 20mm kit but it was out of stock at the time. Anyway, it will probably take a while until I can get one.

For macro, what would you recommend? A macro lens, reversal adapter (body or M2M), focusing helicoid?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Exakta bayonet lenses are very nice too

try pancolar 50/2 Smile

That lens is available in other mounts, isn't it? Looks like this is a pretty rare mount - is it worth the bother?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Exakta mount lenses are generally cheaper than same lenses on m42.

I got mine from ebay for 30 GBP.
and yes.. it's stunning Smile

some pics with the pancolar and E-P1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_dyakov/sets/72157623555373210/
BR,
Stefan