Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good way to archive processed images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Good way to archive processed images Reply with quote

I have found a good way to archive processed images. Instead of storing two files (one with no edits, the other with edits), I now use the "snapshot" feature of photoshop, and after having applied the edits I like (which are usually very few, as I don't like to PP images much), I take a snapshot, then get back to first step in history, open the snapshot, do a CTRL+A then CTRL+J to place the edited version in a top layer, and save the file as Photoshop PSD in stead of TIF.

OK it's surely something that many of you are already doing it's years, but I have just thought of it now Razz
_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot only RAW and the original is never touched, thus forming its own archive version. JPEGS are kept in a separate file and often I will finish up with a couple of versions before I get one I like

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a useful hint, Orio.

I like the snapshot function a lot. Has saved me from frustration several times.

Even if I shoot RAW+JPG and edit my RAWs, the chance to quickly go back is great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too shoot and keep RAW but conversion and editing process takes time, plus the RAWs are not quickly browseable files, so I am keeping the conversed versions of the pictures I do - not all of them of course- for those important pictures I like to keep both a straight developed version and a PP version (which usually means some sharpening), in order to have both a final and be able to get back to straight conversion without needing to reprocess the RAW again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep only raw. Raw are smaller and quickly browseable. A file of 40 mb need long to show, for raw it is only 500kb to open the embedded jpg.
I use FSViewer to browse my raw
http://www.faststone.org/
I don't keep edited because I don't 'edit', I just level no sharpening etc... and I would need 1 minute to 'reedit' a raw.
Raw conversion get better every new version and I prefer to open with last version.
I use Perl and exiftool to update exif focal and IPTC of raw because I want to know wich lens I use.
For archival of banal photos I use a Perl script who fast extract the embedded jpg with Exif info and I can keep 10000 photos 1936x1288 on a dvd.
I use Iview for database and I can found all pic with tamron 90 in 5 sec.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you maintain and admin your database well, that is! Wink