Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good Canon EF lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Good Canon EF lens? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I need a good zoom lens for my Canon EOS 1DS mkII N.

No plastic junk like the EF 1.8/50.

No poorly built wobbly crap like most of the later EF lenses.

Better IQ than the mediocre EF 24-85.

L lenses are out of my budget.

The earlier EF lenses with metal mounts have acceptable build quality but are there any that are good optically?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Good to see you here again Ian!

Maybe useful is Canon Lens Work books, in many editions over the years. I might have a pdf someplace; these used to be online, but I can't find any quickly. The many editions of the book are available. Which one for earlier metal lenses? Dunno.

I'm watching topic 'cause I want to know too. Thanks for post!

EDIT: maybe here https://www.scribd.com/doc/6610645/Canon-EF-Lens-Work-III-The-Eyes-of-EOS-Sept

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, been a bit ill for a while, but finally feeling better and rekindling my love of photography.

I'll share my experiences trying to find a good EF lens for my 1d mkII N at a price I can afford. I am currently playing with an old EF 24-85 that I was never happy with on my old 450D.

One thing I am wondering is that with the APS-H sensor with 1.3x crop factor in the 1d mkII N, will APS-C EF-S lenses work?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few boring very low light (just before sundown) samples from the EF 24-85 on the EOS 1d mkII N. The lens isn't awful, but not great either, sharp enough stopped down. However, you really get the feeling that such a nice camera deserves a better lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is AF a requirement? There are plenty of faster better MF zoom lenses easy to adapt. Adapters available less than $10 with focus confirmation chip. BTW the first verdion EF 50/1.8 has metal mount, les plastic than falls apart later version.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

One thing I am wondering is that with the APS-H sensor with 1.3x crop factor in the 1d mkII N, will APS-C EF-S lenses work?

I'm not sure but I think you can't mount them, mounting angle is about 15 when normal is 30 degrees?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left is EF 28-80, right is EF-S 18-55.
Angles are actually something like 90 and 60.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think they won't mount either, I don't have an ef-s lens on hand to test it.

I sold all my manual zooms apart from my Konicas, which won't fit, and some of the more mundane Zuikos, I know I have the 70-150 and I think 35-105, there is a 65-200 in my collection somewhere I think too.

I'm much more of a manual prime sorta guy, but the AF system on this 1d mkII N is so fantastic I thought of investing in just one good AF zoom for it.

I do really like the Tokina 20-35 I have for Sony A mount, I might find one of those for EOS at a decent price maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma 30/1.4 bought for aps-c Canon 350D mounted fine on Canon 5D classic, with AF, aperture, etc., working fine, but image circle did not cover FF senso, not even close -- entire image circle fit in FF.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, glad to know that as that particular lens was one I was interested in, cheers.

One last set of Canon EF 24-85 samples.

This isn't a bad lens, it has it's strengths, but the contrast is poor, it definitely needs a hood, the brightness of the sky often results in a bleeding type of flare. It's not bad stopped down, wide open is only for closeups really, and it's kinda sharp, all of which is to be expected from a consumer zoom, but to someone used to old primes, it's not great. Usable though, especially if I enable the auto correction parameters in Raw Therapee and boost the contrast a bit. The USM focus is very fast and almost silent, I like that aspect.

I'm awaiting the arrival of some EOS adapters before I can try some of my manual lens collection, until then this 24-85 will do the job okay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The Sigma 30/1.4 bought for aps-c Canon 350D mounted fine on Canon 5D classic, with AF, aperture, etc., working fine, but image circle did not cover FF senso, not even close -- entire image circle fit in FF.

I use an aps-c Tokina 12-24 with my 5DII but only 20-24. Then the image is normal, fits and af and aperture works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the sleeper EF 28 70 3,5 4,5. Very cheap, very good.

Are you sure your 24 85 glass is clear, no haze?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like great camera Ian.

kansalliskala wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I use an aps-c Tokina 12-24 with my 5DII but only 20-24. Then the image is normal, fits and af and aperture works.

Good to know. Maybe somebody has a list of APS-C lenses with big image circles.

This person uses Sigma 30/1.4 on APS-H seems to like it https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=10079023

Here's what it looks like on Full Frame 5D Classic:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this 24-85 has any haze, at least, I can't see any.

I've bought a Canon EF 35-135 cheap, should be good according to reviews.

Still not tried a manual lens of the EOS 1d mkII N, they don't work, I think you need to use an adapter with an af confirm chip, so I have ordered some. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my second copy of a Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, and they're very good.
My first did not fail; it was sold due to financial difficulties.
Both have a metal mount bayonet and are well-built.
It's a rather good zoom range to use as an all-purpose lens.

Both my copies were purchased many years apart, and each for ~$150 USD.

They perform equally well on APS-C and FF sensors.

From the 40D:

From the 5D Mk IV:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing (and now seeing) it holds up well on the 5D IV I'll second the Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, bought for APS-C 350D and used later on FF 5D I. There must be a reason this particular lens has been in Canon lineup since introduced.

I have heard older copies may have zoom creep -- a push-pull zoom -- when pointed down -- iirc easy to fix.

Metal mount but a plasticy lens imho. Nevertheless a performer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 28-135 does look good, cheers for sharing. Hopefully the 35-135 I just bought is somewhat similar.

Zoom creep - the 24-85 is awful for that - point the camera downwards and the barrel flops forward to the 85mm point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That 28-135 does look good, cheers for sharing. Hopefully the 35-135 I just bought is somewhat similar.

Zoom creep - the 24-85 is awful for that - point the camera downwards and the barrel flops forward to the 85mm point.

Coming a bit late into this conversation I hope I can add something useful.

The simple way to tell if an EF-S lens fits your camera is to check on the lens mounting ring. If it has a red dot only, then only EF lenses will fit. If it has a red dot AND a white square, like my 400D pictured, both EF and EF-S will fit.

The EF 28-135 fits and works well on the 400D (except for the zoom creep)

How did the 35-135 work out Ian? If you want the 28-135 I could be persuaded to part with mine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

There is the Sigma 35/1.4 Art lens... http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-art-35-1-4-and-canon-5d-t81960.html

kansalliskala wrote:
Left is EF 28-80, right is EF-S 18-55.
Angles are actually something like 90 and 60.

Sorry I'm not seeing any difference. Also I don't remember if my lens mounted aligned.

Thanks Peter for showing body differences.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I have heard older copies may have zoom creep -- a push-pull zoom -- when pointed down -- iirc easy to fix.

Metal mount but a plasticy lens imho. Nevertheless a performer.
It's not a push-pull design; it's a twister.

It's still a very good performer, while my copies have exhibited zoom creep in the twist configuration.

I'd like to change that behavior, but there seems to be no general consensus on how to prevent it.

Irregardless, the 28-135 really is a great-performing lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best EF lens isn't a Canon. It's a Tamron -- a 24-70 I bought back in 1994. I chose the Tamron because 1) I'd had good luck with Tamron in the past and 2) it was a lot cheaper than Canon's approximate equivalent, a 20-35. I don't believe Canon made a 24- zoom back then.

I took the Tamron with me on a trip to Taiwan later that year, shooting slides with an EOS 650. Both the camera and the lens performed flawlessly. I was quite impressed with the results the lens provided. In the past 26 years, this has been my go-to EOS lens and I've used it both with film and digital cameras.

If you don't want a Tamron, then I'd recommend you look for a Canon equivalent. 24-70, 24-85, 24-105. Both USM and L series.