Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good 180mm f2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Good 180mm f2,8 Reply with quote

I am in market (next month) for 180mm f2.8 lens. I have shortlisted 2:
1) Nikon Nikkor-P 180mm f2.8
2) CZJ Sonnar 180mm f2.8

Which one is good.. looking towards some advice.. I think, in price differential.. not much of a difference...
I more interested in wide open (near) quality, as I have few good 200mm which give really good results at f3.5+ (plus, Tak 200/4 is not that expansive.. and quality is good even wide open).
Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not speak about the Nikkor-P 180 because I never used it, and I can not really speak about the CZJ 2.8/180 either, because I only have the following version (the 2.8/200), but the two models are really more or less the same lens, so I can say a word or two.

The 2.8/200 is a great lens under many respects (bokeh, color, and sharpness when stopped down), but like all Sonnar lenses, the performance wide open isn't it's best, although it is certainly more than decent and probably better than many other lenses.
It becomes, however, near to perfect already at f/4.
But don't get me wrong: you can shoot it wide open. And it will look nice. Only, it will not make you shout.

But if performance wide open is the main purchase requirement, then maybe other lenses such as the Takumar or Tamron can give a better wide open performance. I think that generally speaking, the Japanese lenses have more chances to work great at wide open than the German lenses. Just because of the way they are designed (super contrast).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue about Nikkor-P 180mm f/2.8 I read somewhere this is also CZJ Sonnar design. I have many variant of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f/2.8.

Top list of Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar in my order.

1) Olympic Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 you can use for ever built like tank,optically outstanding even at wide open
2) CZJ Sonnar 180m f/2.8 MC (black ) aperture sensitive for long storage.
3) other finish, leatherette, "zebra" aperture also many times not works stable.

All are pretty heavy, and need P6-NIKON or M42 adapter that is extra cost for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the (usually) the cost of Olympic Sonnar 180mm f/2.8...
The eBay prices just varies.. Some EU sellers are selling for more than $400... Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Hungary going around $100 or less, but extremely rare. I saw only three copies from them.Two is mine, third is not , because I forgot the auction Sad At this weekend we will have a local photo flea market. Can I buy for you if I found in usable condition ? They are comes with three different mounts Exakta, P6 and M42, personally I saw only with Exakta and P6 mount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Some EU sellers are selling for more than $400... Sad

Do not pay that sum for a Sonnar 180!! With that money you can buy a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/180.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Here in Hungary going around $100 or less, but extremely rare. I saw only three copies from them.Two is mine, third is not , because I forgot the auction Sad At this weekend we will have a local photo flea market. Can I buy for you if I found in usable condition ? They are comes with three different mounts Exakta, P6 and M42, personally I saw only with Exakta and P6 mount.

Thanks for offer... Please go ahead.. for this with some plus/minus will work.. Plus S&H.. In US, its just difficult to get any of these...And after thinking (with Orio points) reasoning, I have dropped the idea of Nikkor for a time being.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Ballu wrote:
Some EU sellers are selling for more than $400... Sad

Do not pay that sum for a Sonnar 180!! With that money you can buy a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/180.

Surely, I am not..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:

UPDATE: Are you bidding on the above lens?

No, I am not bidding.. you can go ahead.. Very Happy

I was thinking this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290093443310&rd=1&rd=1

As this is from local shop, I can get some discount in terms $10-$25.. plus no shipping.. (that guy sometimes sell for discount on starting price)..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a well kept copy. May be a good deal.