Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

gone fishin' with Helios 44 - C&C welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: gone fishin' with Helios 44 - C&C welcome Reply with quote

Went fishing with my son a few weeks ago. He's 5, so it's not the kind of trip where you slog in for 2 hours to a super-secret fishing spot and stay all day. I've found a couple of quiet stretches of water within a 5 minute walk from a road. For us it's about getting a line wet and talking about the plants and the bugs and the birds and the frogs and the minnows and whatever else we see. We'll fish for half an hour until he gets bored, really I'm just trying to expose him to the outdoors and give him a taste for it so we can do more serious fishing/hunting/camping when he's older.

Here's a pano stitched from 9 shots, using Hugin. Essentially the middle is a shot of my son fishing, with extra shots to get a wider view of a very pretty spot. I did some work with exposure/fill light to try to make him more visible against the background, but more skilled PP could probably make him stand out more.

I shot several candidates for that middle frame, but the big splash probably works the best. There's one where in the original shot you could see the fishing line and the tackle in mid-flight, but only at 100%, and a 100% pano is kinda impractical.

The composition bugs me for some reason. It's a decent landscape but hardly a portrait at all. But this is a great, peaceful spot, and I've got other "tight" shots where my son and his fishing line fill most of the frame and you can't get a sense of where we are. If I'd worn my waders I could at least have gotten his face in the shot Wink

Perhaps someone else could tell this story in 1 shot, I fear I'll need 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. Methinks you would benefit from a wider lens. Without being funny, even a fish-eye? Certainly show a lot of the surroundings then.

PS: I applaud what you are doing with your son. Would that I had the patience (and her likewiase) to do the same with my daughter Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Nice results. Methinks you would benefit from a wider lens. Without being funny, even a fish-eye? Certainly show a lot of the surroundings then.

PS: I applaud what you are doing with your son. Would that I had the patience (and her likewiase) to do the same with my daughter Smile

Yeah I've got a couple of decent 28mm lenses but I wanted to try something similar to the gondola shot in Tobias' pano tutorial, http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stiching-t19182.html

It was surprisingly easy to shoot and the stitching is a breeze, this is a pretty easy trick and I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

I'd love to bring my daughter on a little fishing trip but at the advanced age of 7 she has enthusiastically embraced certain stereotypical gender roles and won't have anything to do with fishing Rolling Eyes Next time I'll call it a nature walk and she'll probably be willing to come Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pano!
But I have to warn you. One day you will search for fly angler rod, reel, line and flies. And your waders. Find nothing anymore till you drive to the little river nearby. And see your son with all your stuff ten meters away standing in the water Shocked . Where you wanted to be! And see him catching more then you would expect to catch yourselves Embarassed .
Very mixed feelings Rolling Eyes !
So know what you are doing.
Before it goes that wrong you can have lots of pleasure together Very Happy , that too.