Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Goerz Dagor 6.8/150... hopefully my last buy for a while
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dagor arrived to-day, somewhat later than usually, but this was due to the Finnish Independence Day, which is a bank holiday.

The lens was easier than normal to mount because of the kind soul who had fixed it to a Leica Screw Mount tube - I just added a M39-to-M42 adapter ring Smile

It is a dark December evening outside so I could only do some preliminary tests. Here are two crops, the Dagor fully open, mounted on the 350D, no sharpening, no contrast adjustment:

and one crop at about f/11:

and two down-sampled frames at the full aperture to give an initial idea of the bokeh behaviour:

Well, this is an about ninety years old WA LF lens, the first symmetrical anastigmat, designed in 1892, here used as a tele lens on a crop dSLR. As an LF lens it doesn't perform very well fully open, the resolution drops to zero at the edges of the usable image circle - usable at f/22-f/64, where it is diffraction limited. However, mounted on a dSLR, only the center matters, and according to some tests I've seen, the center resolution is pretty good, something like 85 lines/mm in the center and about 65 lines/mm at the edges of a FF, certainly sharp enough. At f/22 it is diffraction limited to 70 lines/mm for the whole frame, still sharp enough. All these figures are for a correctly centered lens.

Now, looking at my test shots, I'd say that my specimen seems to be correctly adjusted. The lens is uncoated, which will somewhat affect also the resolution, especially when shooting fully open, but anyway both the resolution and the contrast seem to be OK, even fully open. The ruler was tilted in order to give some leeway in focusing, which explains the slightly OOF portions of the fully open crop. NB. the print on the ruler isn't black but dark blue.

Much cannot be said about the bokeh, but indications are that it is reasonably or even very good.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the center resolution is pretty good, something like 85 lines/mm in the center and about 65 lines/mm at the edges of a FF

Well, these are monster figures!!!
Shocked

-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Quote:
the center resolution is pretty good, something like 85 lines/mm in the center and about 65 lines/mm at the edges of a FF

Well, these are monster figures!!!
Shocked

-

And Orio.. did you forgot to check the bokeh... although its not a real test... but to me, its very creamy/smooth... I love these old LF lenses of pre-20's...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive results!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm only seeing the two "bokeh" shots....it looks phenomenal! Shocked

Resolution and sharpness, as well as "positioning" of the lens, looks very very promising.

What a great find!