Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

(glowy) vivitar 24mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: (glowy) vivitar 24mm f2 Reply with quote

some shoots with this lens on sony nex6.

at f2 the lens is very glowy. f2.4 it become better and at f2.8 far better. i will use it for street or architecture so i will close two or three step the aperture.

In which situation you will use wide open for the glowy ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very nice glow it has at f/2! I like it a lot.
I'll primarily use it for shots of small streets in old towns kind of photos, for a "nostalgic" view and I'll try it on portraits and still life photos, as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the first two digits of the serial number?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look very much like the results that I used to get from my Kiron 2/24.
The glowy wide-open look is something that you can use to advantage as Dan says.
I no longer have that lens as it has gone to a different owner, but I enjoyed using it when I had it.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which situation you will use wide open for the glowy ?

Well I think e.g. these two shots look nice:-

Vivitar 24mm f2 stopped down to f5.6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dan has said:
dan_ wrote:
It is a very nice glow it has at f/2! I like it a lot.
I'll primarily use it for shots of small streets in old towns kind of photos, for a "nostalgic" view and I'll try it on portraits and still life photos, as well.

I agree. I can imagine soft lighting and high key effects on feminine and children portraits that show context.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Kiron 2/24mm have deteriorated inner element. It seems like bad glass mixture. Element becomes hazy and
cannot be polished. I assume yours is like that. Optimal performance at F2.0 should be more like yours is at F2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 24/2 on film (BW400CN):

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the glow on B&W film. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:

serial number 28 500 296 , vivitar 24mm f2 MC WIDE ANGLE

Pancolart wrote:
Element becomes hazy and
cannot be polished. I assume yours is like that. Optimal performance at F2.0 should be more like yours is at F2.8.

my lens is crystal clear. i wish the performance wide open is like at f2.8 but not a much big deal.

thanks every body for the return, i will try to shoot wide open to get special effect Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
invisible wrote:

So this is the Komine version of the Vivitar 24/2, not the Kiron.

I'm surprised. I've seen images taken wide open with this version and they were nowhere near this glowy. (And frankly, the ones I've seen taken wide open with the Kiron version weren't this glowy either.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
thebbm wrote:
invisible wrote:

I'm surprised. I've seen images taken wide open with this version and they were nowhere near this glowy. (And frankly, the ones I've seen taken wide open with the Kiron version weren't this glowy either.)

to bad for me :<

the lens is very clear inside so maybe an element is missaligned . i will not risk to open

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
thebbm wrote:
invisible wrote:

Wouldn't the glowy affect been more pronouced in bright sun light?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Wouldn't the glowy affect been more pronouced in bright sun light?

I would say yes. Depending on the lighting, glow effect can be almost imperceptible.

Vivitar Komine 24/2 wide open

Closing a step away and there is a significant contrast and sharpness gain.

At f2.8

But with strong lighting, glowy is inevitable with a accused vignetting. (Sorry the photo is overexposed, I needed something more faster than 1/8000).

Wide open

This lens is not recommended to use full aperture (except effects), it provides ease of focus on pentaprism or pentamirror camera and it is logical to close a couple of steps ... as always. Smile

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anktonio thanks for the share. your lens seems less glowy than mine. i bought it 3 weeks ago for 130 euros with a zuiko 50mm 1.4. I think it was the zuiko 24mm f2 but get the vivitar instead. Should read more carefully next time ! ( it was not write zuiko 24mm just "24mm" )