Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Girlfriend Noir
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Girlfriend Noir Reply with quote

A week or so ago I was given an old darkroom safelight rendered totally useless due to cracks in the paint. So I have it in a lamp in my room. The cracks create some interesting light patterns on the walls and, sometimes, across my girlfriend's brow when we're chatting. So I grabbed my K1000, a roll of Ilford P4 400 ISO surveillance film, set the ISO setting to 1600, and began shooting some 1/4-second exposures wide-open with my Tak 50mm 1:1.4. Oh, I had a tripod, too. For a few, I used a blue filter to heighten the contrast between the dim red light and the lighter white lines. The goal was to get dramatic, film noir-like results. I think a few of these fit the bill.

Some difficulties:
1- motion blur. It was hard for her to pose for 1/8-, 1/4-, and 1/2-second exposures.
2- focus. I ended up using my cell phone light as a focus aid, bit even then precise focus was difficult.
3- light detail. The fine lines I had tried to capture on her face, like light trails from a disco ball, didn't translate onto film. Only the bold lines did.

A successes:
1- the P4 push processed to 1600 with no issue. It's grainier than typical, but less so than I suspect TMax would have been pushed to 400.

Knowing that these are not super-sharp due to being shot wide open and some inevitable model-shake, I'd like to get our criticisms and comments moving with a question.

1- The series' goal was to create a moody, dramatic atmosphere; was that a success? In which images is it a greater or lesser success?

Don't take that to be all I'd like to know about the series. Your other comments and criticisms are welcome, too. The best of the 36-shot roll.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2,3,4 give me a slight feeling of the old horror movie,...with a bit of tweaking I am sure you could get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... the last one is starting to look like Man Ray era art posing...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea can be interesting and worth exploring further.
I'd work on removing the technical problems, for instance, by using a tripod and a shutter remote, this will fix the camera blur.
You can fix the focus accuracy problem by focusing the camera (on tripod) with the main room light turned on, then turn off main light and shoot.
You can also stop down more, for a model it does not make a big difference to stand still 1/2 second instead of 1/4th if she can lean on something (like the wall).
Reg. the negative, assuming that the scan is neutral, I'd try with more agitation, to increase the contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Orio,

I was surprised at how blurry these were since I did use a tripod. I did not, however, have my release on me. I just thew it all together at the last minute when I told Sulastri I was going to take her photo.

For next time, I'll definitely be using a shutter release. I did a fair amount of agitating on this -- first minute and then for 10 seconds very minute thereafter, but maybe 15 seconds every minute would be more appropriate.

I think I'll try different lighting next time. The light I had was just a darkroom light and VERY dim for photography. Maybe a secondary light source would have helped.

Yeah, she wouldn't let me keep turning the light on and off to focus. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is classic Man Rey

patrickh