Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GF1 & 14-45 kit lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: GF1 & 14-45 kit lens Reply with quote

Hi,

today my son has lent to me his GF1 which he has gotten at his birthday some days ago. He said to me, hey old man, try it out and then tell me if someone need more cam Rolling Eyes

Here are some pics from my daily walk around

Hmmm, the answer will be not so easy. But one point is clear, for most of the "common" photographers this cam with this kit lens will have enough potential.

I´m very sure, in 10 years we will have a forum named "Old digital bodies, a new life in a mirror-less age" and then we will discuss about our old Canons 1D´s, Nikon D3, Pentaxes or Sony cams.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right absolutely!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think point-and-shoot cameras have done a lot more than the average joe-in-the-street wants them to do for a very long time. My daughter is perfectly happy with the camera on her mobile phone.

Let's face it, a cheap P&S these days gives a lot more image quality than most 35mm cameras did, including SLRs, unless you were into special lenses, filters, films etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Paul, the GF1 is not the typical p'n's-cam, really.
It's a great piece of gear and I would happy if I could afford one at the moment (without totally annoying my wife Wink).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's rather more advanced than I thought. Still, I think it is true that many, many cameras in a much lower division than this one easily meet the expectations of the ordinary user.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe im misreading this, but i think rolfs point was that this camera went way beyond the realm of the 'ordinary user'. actually, i think his point is about the revolution in the evolution of higher end photography. sure, people can use a 5d as a point and shoot, its still a 5d and a high end photographic tool. the gf1 and the coming (and much lusted after by me) ep2 are the beginning of a new era in high end photography. there was a recent thread on olympus ep1 with cine lenses--another example of the amazing high end potential of these cameras, that can utilize the highest end lenses of most any mount.

wow rolf, thanks alot for confirming my intuition on this subject!
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

you didn´t misreading this.

This cam ( as well as the Olympus Pen ) has a lot of potential. Yesterday I was at my local dealer here in our town. The sales manager there told me that he is now shooting the most of his pics with a GF1 and only for very special situations ( or if the weather is rainy for example ) he uses his Nikon D700.

He showed me pics (large prints) and I have had no chance to identify whether they were shot with a m4/3 or a large DSLR.

Therefore I believe, that in 5 to 10 years the classic DSLR with mirror, prisma etc. will be history.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolf i totally agree except my only hesitation is that the m4/3 totally messes with ones lens collection/configuration. a 2x crop factor is really out of line for a lot of people who have much $ invested in lenses they want to/are used to using in a certain way that use w m4/3 wont even come close to.

other than that, now that they seemed to have solved the focusing issues combined with their reputed excellence in low light, this format is a no brainer for me. i very seldom line up on day 1 for any product, but i will be doing so at the release of the oly ep2! (my choice over the gf1 because of in body IS, always a major factor for me, but with light camera and heavy lenses maybe even more so--plus i love olympus color)

btw, and not insignificantly, i loved your pictures. as always, very imaginative and technically perfect to my eye. thanks for raising this topic.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

thanks for your friendly comments.

I do not believe, that the GF1 (G1 or GH similar) is the shape of all things. Both - the Oly and the Pana - have advantages and disadvantages.

But one point is clear, this is the new technology for the next years and there is no reason to use the Canon, Nikon or whatever lenses with the respective cam with no mirror and prism in it but only a FF or aps-c sensor.

I don´t think that these companies will introduce a new lens generation (means new mount)

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rolf, i was just reading some older threads and you had a great picture of your 1ds w the industar 50mm/3.5 pancake. i would love to see a shot of that lens on the gf1! im thinking of making it my walking around lens when i get my ep2....
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hey rolf, i was just reading some older threads and you had a great picture of your 1ds w the industar 50mm/3.5 pancake. i would love to see a shot of that lens on the gf1! im thinking of making it my walking around lens when i get my ep2....
tony

Hi Tony,
it´s now 11.30 pm, a little bit late for test shots. Until that an image how it looks on the cam Rolling Eyes

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my gosh, im sorry, i didnt calculate the time--typical amero-centric world view!

thank you so much, it looks very cool, except i guess i wasnt thinking about how large the adapter is!

again rolf, thank you, i really didnt mean for you to interrupt your evening on my account.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
oh my gosh, im sorry, i didnt calculate the time--typical amero-centric world view!

thank you so much, it looks very cool, except i guess i wasnt thinking about how large the adapter is!

again rolf, thank you, i really didnt mean for you to interrupt your evening on my account.
tony

Hi Tony, no problem, you are welcome !