Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gear Aquisition Syndrome - it ain't all that bad
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Gear Aquisition Syndrome - it ain't all that bad Reply with quote

I saw this photo on the "Meanwhile back in Canada" Facebook page and thought it should find its way here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

BTW, just a matter of budget. So it may not always work.... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Happy Dog

BTW, just a matter of budget. So it may not always work.... Wink

I can't have it all. I have to choose. Sad
(and I should get my act together if I want to buy this A7II I've been drooling about...)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:

I can't have it all. I have to choose. Sad

C'mon, Wyborowa is also considered to be a drug..... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
C'mon, Wyborowa is also considered to be a drug..... Wink

Siwucha from Zielona Góra is better Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Gear Aqcuisition Syndrome" ("GAS") = "Lens Buyer's Addiction" ("LBA").

"LBA" can also stand for "Lens Buyer's Anonymous", where the "victim" of "the other LBA" can get (very limited) help.

Personally, I've never actually been ~addicted~ to acquiring lenses -- in fact, as evidence of that, I have quit buying lenses many, ~many~ (short) times.

Oh, and then there's "LFA", for "Lens Forums Addiction"..............

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Personally, I've never actually been ~addicted~ to acquiring lenses -- in fact, as evidence of that, I have quit buying lenses many, ~many~ (short) times.

This reminds me of Mark Twain, who said: "To quit smoking is the easiest thing to do. I've done it myself a million times." Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Aquisition Syndrome - it ain't all that bad Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
I saw this photo on the "Meanwhile back in Canada" Facebook page and thought it should find its way here.

As long as they don't start dealing drugs to fund their LBA...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I tried vintage lenses. A SMC Pentax-m 1.7/50mm at a goodwill.
People warned me "be careful- classic glass is addictive"
Now a few months later, I'm doing Carl Zeiss and Steinheil Munchen lenses.
It's a slippery slope...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I remember the first time I tried vintage lenses. A SMC Pentax-m 1.7/50mm at a goodwill.
It's a slippery slope...

Yeah -- Pentax K-mount lenses are "gateway lenses"...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
fwcetus wrote:

This reminds me of Mark Twain, who said: "To quit smoking is the easiest thing to do. I've done it myself a million times." Very Happy

I use a comparable saying: I quit smoking every day before I go to bed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
StillSanj wrote:
It's a slippery slope...

Yeah -- Pentax K-mount lenses are "gateway lenses"...

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks Lydith sounds like a drug, although maybe prescription?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Lydith sounds like a drug, although maybe prescription?

An Anti depressant perhaps? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
woodrim wrote:

An Anti depressant perhaps? Smile

Yes, I'm sure I was influenced by Lithium. Influenced by name association, not by use. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
"Gear Aqcuisition Syndrome" ("GAS") = "Lens Buyer's Addiction" ("LBA").

Not quite.
LBA is a sub category of GAS. I've pretty much got my LBA under control , but still find myself acquiring other photography gear. I get tempted by camera bodies/flashguns/accessories and particularly photography books.

Of course my LBA is not totally cured - if I see a lens for sale, I have a look at it, if it's cheap & in a suitable mount, I still succumb - but I don't regularly search e-bay for lenses any more!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be in remission. I had one brief accidental purchase on August 10th - a brief relapse, but hadn't purchased any other lenses since January.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have graduated to cameras (is that CBA?),I have just bought a used XE-1 and I am waiting on an arrival of a Panasonic G5.My reasoning was I needed to upgrade from my panasonic G1, and I saw the XE-1 was at the right price Very Happy and had to buy it to try it. I believe I have enough lenses now,I just need a few more cameras to improve the lens to camera ratio.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I just need a few more cameras to improve the lens to camera ratio.

Well, that may be an interesting key figure: "lens to camera ratio". Wink

However, still rather suffering from GAS than from LBA.

LBA may be easier to control. CBA is rather tough when infected, especially when you start to buy spare copies to be on the safe side...
At least that's my experience...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Did I get that backwards...argghh Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Rolling Eyes Did I get that backwards...argghh Very Happy

That was not even my point. Either way might be interesting. Number of lenses per camera or other way round. Wink
I meant it more as a guiding figure to advise you whether to buy more cameras or lenses. Smile
Maybe there is an ideal relationship?
Maybe there is a threshold to look for professional help?
I think this discussion could lead to nowhere....

I can only speak for myself. I believe that I already left the field of "normality", though still not sure whether it's time to look for help or to wait what's coming next. Wink

FYI, I still didn't manage to start with my inventory check. Therefore I can't even tell how many cameras and lenses and other accessory stuff I have. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I think I may be in remission. I had one brief accidental purchase on August 10th - a brief relapse, but hadn't purchased any other lenses since January.

You went months without buying a lens? Wow. I told myself I'd try to go the week...broke down twice already.
At least I'm starting to sell off some too, so that's progress I think.

I'm really good at keeping my GAS under control-one tripod and one main camera body I use...but I have 15ish.
However, my LBA flare ups are rather intense-but at least my purchases end up being good ones-for the most part.
It's nice to know I'm not alone in this-maybe that will help me.
I doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
woodrim wrote:

You went months without buying a lens? Wow. I told myself I'd try to go the week...broke down twice already.
At least I'm starting to sell off some too, so that's progress I think.

I'm really good at keeping my GAS under control-one tripod and one main camera body I use...but I have 15ish.
However, my LBA flare ups are rather intense-but at least my purchases end up being good ones-for the most part.
It's nice to know I'm not alone in this-maybe that will help me.
I doubt it.

Don't give up hope. They say you have to hit rock bottom before you can begin a recovery. You have an advantage in that you sell lenses, which is a very good sign for regaining control of your addiction. I afraid I am handicapped further by having a sell disability.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I afraid I am handicapped further by having a sell disability.

You are not alone. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,I got you,it may be a dead end discussion but it is fun.
I look at this way I could spend my money on other useless "junk" (multiple pairs of shoes etc). The prices of used cameras (Nex,Fuji,Canon 5D) are coming down in price, due to the seemingly never ending supply of new cameras coming on to the market. I figure I might as well try some of the different cameras when they fall into my price range.I certainly have more than enough lenses for each camera. Laughing