Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

gaoersi panoramic cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: gaoersi panoramic cameras Reply with quote

wow, take a look at this bad boy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270754216903&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

from what i have found out, this, and several others of different aspect ratio cams, are made in china. they are carving out a unique niche, pano cams that utilize great quality 4x5 large format lenses recording on easy to use 120/220 medium format film.

it goes like this, you decide what format you want (the above model can shoot both 6x9 and 6x12, others shoot 6x15, 6x17 etc). you tell the seller the specific 4x5 lens(s) you will use on the cam, they provide a custom adapter to attach your lens to the cam, a vf for your fl, and away you go!

this seems to me incredibly cool from many respects. first, my understanding is large format produces images whose resolution and sharpness blow away medium format/high end digital. second, the cam is totally portable and hand-holdable. third, no messing with sheet film, just use regular 120 rollfilm.

anyway, this has me very excited and i'm wondering what other members think, and if other members have any experience with this product.

i look forward to everyones thought!
tony

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Mine has a Nikkor SW f4.5/75mm lens and matching helical.
The package overall is a bit heavy but, I use it handheld all the time.
The workflow with such a camera hits a bottleneck when it's time to print.
I need a bigger enlarger in order to take advantage of the huge negative.
My Bessler 23C does not do it. A 4x5 enlarger is a must or even 8x10 would be better for future expandability.
For now I am scanning on the Epson V700. It's OK but not really great for these 1:2 format negs.
Here is the camera taken with my iPhone and a couple of samples shot on Tmax 400-2 souped in Tmax Developer.
Follow my Flikr back to see full size 4700pix versions. Tons of detail there.

Full Size:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36366328@N04/5643687539/sizes/o/in/set-72157625070035213/

Full Size:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36366328@N04/5644256692/sizes/o/in/set-72157625070035213/

Full Size:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36366328@N04/5718923853/sizes/o/in/set-72157625070035213/
And this one I cropped to 2:3

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy those are awesome! how do i access your flikr acct?

which model is this?

do all 4x5 lenses require a matching focusing helical, and if so, does gaoersi provide them?

you seem to develop your own film. as i have no desire to do so, my assumption was that any 120 developer would develop these rolls as well. is that a correct assumption?

do you enjoy using it?

thanks
tony

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
Remember these are just "proof" scans. It is difficult to fully judge the true rendering here but, you get an idea;)
I added links above to the "orignal" images.

This one is a 612. I'm thinking of trying a 617 but not until maybe next year.
The 617 negative is over 6.5 inches long. It will take some doing to print one effectively. Right now I don't have the time to build a darkroom to house such an enlarger. A 45 enlarger is tops in my 9' ceiling room.
Projecting on the wall is another option but, requires the footprint to be horizontal which also takes now more floorspace instead of ceiling height.

They do sell Helical(s) for many different focal lengths. The 75 I wanted as it is very fast at f4.5 for this type of lens and very modern in coatings and sharpness.

Yes, film is developed like normal 120.

I love using it. I have a small handheld RF that I use to set focus.
Using the external VF is simple. You set the shutter and aperture, charge the shutter, frame the scene, fire!
Red window advance on the back is simple and elegant. Count frames 1,3,5,7,9,11 that is 6 shots per roll.

Framing is a bit tricky at first. The idea is to adjust for parallax by moving the center of the lens to the place the center of the VF was when framing.
I frame such that I can go from my heals to balls of feet and have the same view.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some heady stuff there, Andrew, like this direction a lot! Cool Can't wait for
your fall collection in Provia, Astia, and Velvia! Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning results! Shocked I did not expect less from you Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

I was hoping to get a few more rolls in and a better scanning workflow before presenting this camera.
It's a beauty in use. and a healthy workout to at nearly 2 kilos Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! That first one with windows and tables is fantastic. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice camera and good shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys shots are really great! and i am happy he posted them as they give a good example of what these cams are capable of.

byy way of this thread i am really trying to solicit thoughts and other experiences with these gaoersi pano cams. has anyone else experiences or observations about the cameras?