Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus or just dust? FINALLY JUST DUST!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Fungus or just dust? FINALLY JUST DUST! Reply with quote

Hi people!

I'm asking about your opinion on this lens. "The thing" is inside the rear element glass. I can't see the typical fuguns growing patterns at all, no spider's web pattern and that... They are just very little spots spread across the lens surface... So, what do you think?

Thanks!!

[/img]

Last edited by Ruifer on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fungus or just dust? Reply with quote

Ruifer wrote:

Fungus is not always growing like tree, I have seen growing in spots like this. Never seen lens with this many spots, but yes I think it is fungus

Last edited by Esox lucius on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar lens surface when I did put too much cleaning liquid onto lens surface and liquid went into elements. It is dried with lot of small spots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmhhh... :-/ I was wondering. Actually it doesn't seems to affect the pics, but... is not a good thing at all.

It is the Distagon 35/1.4 MMJ, anyone of you have opened this lens before?

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruifer wrote:
Mmmmhhh... :-/ I was wondering. Actually it doesn't seems to affect the pics, but... is not a good thing at all.

It is the Distagon 35/1.4 MMJ, anyone of you have opened this lens before?

Thanks a lot!

Distagon is too expensive lens and well built for this amount of dust or lens cleaning liquid footprints.This say this is fungus. Bring to professional service don't risk lens safety. If you don't have near by you contact with trifox or hk300 on this forum they provide cleaning service on reasonable price.

Last edited by Attila on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, too much dust to be just dust... The good thing (I hope) is that I bougth this lens to a shop that are offering me one year warranty for this lens, so I'm going to contact them right now!

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can get away with a lot of "crap" on the front lens element, but the rear lens element is more important..............................

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this is not propably fungus ..

but ---

IT might be SALT --
Can you confirm that this lens was used somewhere on seashore?

As far as I know this lens -- because I have got it -- any articles can get into very easily ..

I guess that this some salt inside ..

I will give you more details by TOMORROW..

tf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
IT may be SALT --
Can you confirm that this lens was used somewhere on seashore?

Salt...... I haven't thought about it!. I've bought this lens from a store based in Barcelona, so it is VERY probable that it was used there in Barcelona, close to the coast, if not directly to take pics on the beach, sea...

And... what if it's salt?, is it so bad for the glass like fungus is?... is it hard to remove?...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was just my guess with the salt, of course

another answer -- more professional view just has come from my technician:
It might be OIL DROPS on the glass -- if so, it's cleanable..

small resume :

1 - oil - YES
2 - spots in glass -- NO -- too many Smile
3 - fungus - NO
4 - salt - POSSIBLY YES.

tf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

It's making me feel less worry to "hear" someone saying NO to fungus!

Trifox, thanks a lot!!, I've sent to your mail more pics as you asked me. I'm sharing some more pics in here to let all the people knows, and maybe to compare with their lenses problems.

Directly facing the rear element... As you can see, it seems (to me) more or less clean, just a few spots on it...

Other point of view, these sopts seem to shine depending on the light direction, like oil drops?... like lil salt grains?...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's salt..

it's quite hard to make a clear judgment ..Cool

tf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
I would say it's salt..

it's quite hard to make a clear judgment ..Cool

tf

How could salt getting into elements ? Was it dropped into sea ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not absolutely sure if this salt is but it might be.

This is typical issue when shooting very close to see..
the water is like a invisible spray - small articles in microns Smile
- you can not actually see it but it may get into.

In this case, I would say the chance is a bit smaller because is inside...

but who knows ..

That's why I am saying - SALT - POSSIBLY YES --

But looking at this picture -- I would say: ALMOST CERTAiNLY ... which is very close to DEFINITELY.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Was it dropped into sea?

Nono, impossible. The only problem I can find in this lens is on the rear glass... If you take a look at the entire lens it's almost like new!, no scratches, no corrosion at all... If it was droped into sea and then cleaned, I've must to say two things: the guy who has washed it is GOD... so it's impossible that he has washed all the lens so perfect but left the rear glass like this Wink

Don't know if it's salt or oil, but this lens has been used close to the coast, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it have been stored for a long while, standing upright, without the rear cap?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Could it have been stored for a long while, standing upright, without the rear cap?

I can't be sure, but I think not, cause the lens has got the original caps, and it's in very very good conditions, it's seems to has been used very carefully.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was stored long time with up to rare glass and air was fill up with salty humidity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi every one!

I've sent this lens to the shop where I've bought it, explaining them my problem, and finally they have returned me the lens cleaned. Their technician told me that it was just dust!, no fungus neither salt, finally just dust Smile

I want to thank all of you very much for your help!!

Peace!