Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus... $&%!ity.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Fungus... $&%!ity. Reply with quote

So I got two free Nikon bodies and a free matching Tamron 28-200 today. I plan to use the heck out of these things, too. I'm thrilled beyond words about this. Anyway, the lens (and thankfully only the lens) has fungus. Three small spots, one each on the rear, second-, and third-from rear elements. All are far off to the side and small, so I suspect they will not hurt photo quality. They are also small enough that they appear to not be etching the coatings yet. I'm going to leave the lens in my car tomorrow at work to get some UV treatment. That done, if stored properly (in a case with ample dessicant), will the fungus come back?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus spot will remain visible even UV cure, but if you store it properly it will not grow . Perhaps UV will kill it , but I am unsure. Risk of UV threatment in hot car grease from tube will go to blades and you will have a stuck aperture with fungused lens and dry focus Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I forgot my lens at home today! Maybe I'll take it to the city next weekend and ask my brother to leave it on his back porch one day. He has a fenced yard and neighbors on each side. And SF never gets hot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is good, looks safe. Nikon lenses have excellent construction I did open and clean a few all was trouble free.