Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus amongst us - is this lens worth getting serviced?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Fungus amongst us - is this lens worth getting serviced? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just became the owner of a Vivitar Vari-Focal 35-85mm f2.8 - paid virtually nothing for it. Very interesting lens, but its got spider-growths of fungus. I'm trying to determine if it is going to be cost effective to have it cleaned and even if I should bother given the condition of the glass. I'm not sure how to tell is if the damage is so severe as to be irreparable.

Pictures of the lens attached.

Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fungus amongst us - is this lens worth getting serviced? Reply with quote

Anti anti-spam-measure measure! Laughing

jperegrine wrote:
Hi,

Just became the owner of a Vivitar Vari-Focal 35-85mm f2.8 - paid virtually nothing for it. Very interesting lens, but its got spider-growths of fungus. I'm trying to determine if it is going to be cost effective to have it cleaned and even if I should bother given the condition of the glass. I'm not sure how to tell is if the damage is so severe as to be irreparable.

Pictures of the lens attached.

Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a good lens worth to cleaning or just use it and enjoy. If you store it right (low humidity level, without caps to get enough lights ) it will not grow and serve you long time. Fungus not infect other lenses if it is properly stored.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bath all of my fungus infected lenses under the sun and it seems to work very well! THe heat and UV either stunts the growth or kills the fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thjis lens is in good condition!

Should work fine even without the Sun treatment which is advisable for all but plastic lenses.

Have you used it? Is it acceptable to you? Post the results?