Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FujiX focusing AR Hex wide angle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: FujiX focusing AR Hex wide angle Reply with quote

I have 28 3.5 and 35 2.8 Hex AR lenses that are almost impossible to focus with the focus peaking.

I was ready to sell them as 'unusable' to me.

But then I have tried for the first time 'Digital Split' focusing - and it works.

Its not very advanced feature (at least not on my xt1) but after some time playing got it right.

handling is quite slower than with focus peaking (with lenses that will peak!).

There are other old lenses that are terrible (almost impossible) for focus peaking too,

so just change settings and practise Digi Split.

Just wanted to share this info ..

Happy Digi Splitting !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would suggest the focus peaking on the Fuji is not very good then because it works great on Sony's with old lenses. I have over 20 Hexanons including the two you list here and never had a problem with either of them, both are very good, sharp lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always zoom in digitally for focussing. Not as fast but most accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hexanon 28mm 3.5 and the focus peaking works great on my X-T2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok could be it's on the first generation of Fujis cmos sensor then, cause I have the same reading with xe1 too.

have the same 'effect' (well see it 'focus peaking all over the place and not accurate') with some Industars, some old Meyers, some very old tessars.

Digitally zooming: well yeas that is most of the time necessary for lenses like these two.

but for example Yashi lenses are such a joy too use, manual focusing as fast as native fujis auto-focus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my ancient NEX-3's focus peaking works perfectly well with all Hexanons, so I think it is more likely user error than the Fuji camera's capability.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: FujiX focusing AR Hex wide angle Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
I have 28 3.5 and 35 2.8 Hex AR lenses that are almost impossible to focus with the focus peaking.

I don't know the Fuji APS-C cameras, but on Sony A7 series the focus peaking works well with those lenses. I've just checked the Hexanon AR 3.5/28mm (7L) and the later Hexanon AR 3.5/28mm (5L) variants as well as the Hexanon AR 2.8/35mm (6L) on the Sony A7II, using "medium" sensitivity for peaking, and testing it 1) wide open and 2) at f11.

No problems whatsoever.

S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FujiX focusing AR Hex wide angle Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

I was ready to sell them as 'unusable' to me.

But then I have tried for the first time 'Digital Split' focusing - and it works.

Its not very advanced feature (at least not on my xt1) but after some time playing got it right.

handling is quite slower than with focus peaking (with lenses that will peak!).

There are other old lenses that are terrible (almost impossible) for focus peaking too,

so just change settings and practise Digi Split.

Just wanted to share this info ..

Happy Digi Splitting !

Can you not set the amount of focus peaking?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an X-T1 and focus peaking works great. I use adapted manual lenses about as much as I use modern auto focus lenses. Some questions.

What color are you using for focus peaking?
Are you using a single adapter to mount these lenses or is it across several adapters?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
ok could be it's on the first generation of Fujis cmos sensor then, cause I have the same reading with xe1 too.

have the same 'effect' (well see it 'focus peaking all over the place and not accurate') with some Industars, some old Meyers, some very old tessars.

I have an X-E1 and X-T1 and discovered as well that the focus peaking isn't great for older MF lenses. I concluded it needs more contrast than most of my lenses can provide. I say most, as I think I found the retina range to be okay. But really, although I kept trying it, as I was sure it should work, I never use it now, and instead utilise the zoom focus. I'm more than happy with that and the muscle memory has kicked in now anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx for reply's, I'll make some examples during the daylight,

to make it clear and understandable what I meant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found a video illustrating what you mean.

https://youtu.be/eC4lZWHDE58

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old British proverb...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_bad_workman_always_blames_his_tools

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx for your reply's,

I have to correct myself with one thing (after 2nd brief test):
- on xt1, the 35/2.8 has good focus peaking (red) on BW film simulation, no problem what so ever.

With the colour film sim is not so strong as other vintage lenses.