Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon 55 2.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Fujinon 55 2.2 Reply with quote

There's been a flurry of discussions about the Fujinon lenses and how good they are, and I have never had one until this week when I found this old 'kit lens' in the local charity shop for £2. That made my weekly spend on lenses £5. Laughing
For that price I didn't expect much, although the lens I have is in unmarked condition with perfect glass - once I'd cleaned it.
But it surprised me.

All these were taken with a Sony NEX5 at ISO 800, I have adjusted the levels / colours ( Auto in Elements ), it was a very miserable day and the lens seems to be very muted with colour. I haven't sharpened them, and the 'Heart' picture is a large crop from a handheld picture taken at arms length in the rain. I'll go back to that and get a sharper picture.

this one impressed me greatly, it's a shot of a wonderful cast iron fountain depicting a boy riding a flying swan. And even on a grey and dreary day the water flowing over the surface, and shooting into the sky, will show up any CA straight away, and there's none I can see. It's also hard to get a sharp image with the water on the surface, but I have to say this is good.

I fully expected another lens for the cheap lens challenge, but this is a keeper. I've probably got sharper lenses, but on it's first outing in difficult conditions it did OK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't complain for £2, but maybe the Nex is better than the lens Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all. The ladybird shot shows bokeh that reminds me strongly of a Tessar 2.8/50.

I have the X-Fujinon version and I must try it on my NEX-3 and on film in my AX-1. I also have the 1.9/50 so I will try that too, I loaded the AX-1 with Fujicolor 200, just waiting for the weather to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being such a common lens there's plenty about it on the net, and most of that is fairly negative. But nearly everyone comments on the bokeh from this lens, which I'm interested in playing with. I think it might be a lens for certain occasions ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also read quite a few negative things about the Tessar, but it's a great lens.

These days I form my own opinions after trying things myself, horses for courses and such...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a truly sharp lens and it reminds me of a Tessar as well. I feel one has to experiment with it a little bit to find its strengths.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:
It's a truly sharp lens and it reminds me of a Tessar as well. I feel one has to experiment with it a little bit to find its strengths.

I've used it a bit more and I'm liking it more. There is a lot of sharpness to be had in this lens, and it seems to go to the edges well. But it is a low contrast lens, if you don't mind beefing up the colours in PP it's a nice lens.
The bokeh can be made to work for you as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing's for sure, I don't like the look of that bull!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, there may be two different M42 versions of this lens. At least there are two versions that differ in length, but I don't know if the optical formula differs as well… Strangely this most common M42 Fujinon is one of the very few that I don't have. =)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were taken deep in the woods on a wet and murky day, hand held at ISO 400 and probably f4.
I've sharpened the fern picture slightly to get the stem a bit sharper, and I've adjusted the levels.
The tree stump might be f5.6 ? whatever it was, it's sharp.

I like the bokeh for this kind of picture, the background is still discernible, but it's blurred enough to not be a major part of the picture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd sold this lens, I found it in a box again so I thought I'd give it another try. I'm glad I didn't sell it.

It doesn't like wide open, but it does like f3.5. It's actually seems better - sharper - one stop down than between f8 and f16 And this lens has some sharpness. It's a cheap, plastic, slow, 5 blade kit lens from some old Fujica, but apparently the 4 elements in 4 groups design is unusual - it's a 'unar' type lens, which I know nothing about. Whatever, using it today it's apparent that this lens delivers the much loved bubble bokeh with sharp highlights. It's also very free of CA / fringing.
All these shots have had some PP, just basic levels. f3.5 ISO 150 taken with the Sony A6000.

No bokeh, but it's a decent sharp picture with little distortion.

Not my picture but it has the optical plan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujinon 55 2.2 Reply with quote

Hi there,
I bought this lens with some oil on the aperture blades and I would like to clean it, but it has an unusual construction.
I've unscrewed back lens group and three small screws on the ring near the aperture ring, but after that I stopped cause there is nothing to unscrew anymore...
Does somebody know how to disassembly it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had mine apart, so I can't help. But, I honestly don't bother about oil on the blades of a lens UNLESS the oil is sticking the blades together and making it difficult to change aperture. With some lenses, certainly the bigger Pentacon lenses, it causes the blades to dislodge if the aperture is moved quickly. With my few oily lenses I just change the aperture slowly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first SLR lens, mounted on a Fujica ST605n. I wish I still had my old negatives. It was an OK lens on film from what I remember, but I mostly shot at f/5.6 or higher.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fujinon 55/2.2 (x fujica mount) , wide open, canon 450d:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very characteristic background blur has this fujinon

#1 om zuiko auto-s 50/1.8

#2 x-fujinon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens could be called poor man's Domiron Smile .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open, 450d canon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see here, as with another lenses, great jobs by the fotographers than a lenses with a real good IQ

The images posted here are well taken, knowing the particular character of the lens.

You use the lens in the right way, but not because the lens is very good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siudym wrote:
wide open, 450d canon

Very well done, particularly the 1st one! jt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed these more recent posts on this topic, and that's a shame - there's some excellent pictures from this lens. I've still got mine, rarely used, but I wouldn't sell it, and I should use it more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55/2.2, wide open, canon 450d

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Siudym, I really like those. This old Fujinon certainly has character, it's a very useful lens. ( I think I bought another one recently, just because it was cheap Rolling Eyes )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tidy work Siudym Like 1 small

/me adds another lens to the wish list... Rolling Eyes