Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujifilm X-M1 outperforms Canon 6D with ISO performance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Fujifilm X-M1 outperforms Canon 6D with ISO performance Reply with quote

I was shocked after testing Shocked . I read many reviews on the X-trans sensor of Fuji and found a 50% debate for the new X-M1 body, so I got it right away. Currently I don't have any lens since the XF 35/1.4 is coming, I'm really curious about the quality of this camera compared to the 6D. So I did the shots using only the body, with a white paper in front. Then I used 100% crop in the center to compare these cameras.

It's amazing that X-M1 images look cleaner at ISO400 and 1000. They are pretty similar at ISO3200, but somehow at ISO6400, 6D photo got worse so dramatically while X-M1 photo didn't change much. Maybe there is a error with the light intensity came to the sensor to cause that difference, but I repeated the shots with X-M1 twice, got the same result.

At least I can tell that within normally used ISO, X-M1 (and of course other Fuji X cameras using the same sensor) produces photos with less noise than 6D, which is considered among the best in the market now. This is the first time I find a crop sensor performs better than a fullframe sensor.

For full side images, please visit this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/langstrum/15641343217/

PS: I've just found another review on this camera, and this time it outperforms both 5D mark III and D800!!

https://photographylife.com/reviews/fuji-x-m1/6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my dslr's as they were too much weight, bought myself a Fuji X10 for starters - all I can say is WOW!!!!! The results are brillia
nt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't agree with your results in real world performance I'm afraid (I have the X-E1 with the same sensor as the X-M1 and I also own the 6D).

Fuji overstate their ISO ratings so:

If you need to shoot at 1/50th second, the Canon will need ISO 1600 whereas the Fuji will need ISO 2000+ (assuming you use the same aperture with both cameras). Comparing ISO 1600 with ISO 1600 isn't a fair test.

Here's an example I shot earlier to test this. With both cameras set to same shutter speed of 1/50th second at ISO 2500, I needed to increase the exposure on the Fuji shot by +0.83 stop in Lightroom to get the correct exposure. The Canon exposure was slightly wrong too, so needed to be increased by +0.24 stop. Therefore the Fuji is overstating ISO values by +0.59 stop.

Here's the two shots after the adjustment in Lightroom:

Canon

Fuji

Canon 100% crop

Fuji 100% crop

The Fuji cameras are superb, and I love my X-E1, but high ISO noise performance is far better on the full frame Canon. You just need to remember to ignore Fuji's ISO values Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the review linked, I discovered that Fuji's Raws are "cooked". Is it possible to make a relevant conclusion ?
Is it an illusion but in you test, the Fuji's 6400 iso is better than its 3200?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Reading the review linked, I discovered that Fuji's Raws are "cooked". Is it possible to make a relevant conclusion ?
Is it an illusion but in you test, the Fuji's 6400 iso is better than its 3200?

In my experience Fuji's ISO numbers are exaggerated by about one stop. So, ISO-1600-Fuji = ca. ISO-800-Nikon as far as metering is concerned.
That's a bit disappointing, yes, but you can live with it and the Fuji X-Trans sensors are still very, very good.
My X-T1 shows lower noise at ISO 1600 than my Nikon D7000 at ISO 800.