Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FujiFilm FinePix S5 Pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: FujiFilm FinePix S5 Pro Reply with quote

Any experience ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi that baby costs almost as much as a 5D, but has a crop sensor and not a single manual lens adapter in sight.

I don't know the camera, surely it's a great one with its special CCD and so on, but for that kind of price, I would add a couple more hundred bills and get a 5D without hesitation: full frame and compatibility with most of existing manual lenses. It's a no brainer for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about that because price is close for Nikon D200. Full frame camera is not important for me and I really wish a Nikon again.It has Nikon F mount compatible with all Nikkor lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think about that because price is close for Nikon D200. Full frame camera is not important for me and I really wish a Nikon again.It has Nikon F mount compatible with all Nikkor lenses.

I don't know.... on DPReview, they say that it's compatible only with most AF lenses (not all) and with AI lenses (but without the TTL flash metering). As far as I can understand, pre-AI lenses are not compatible, which means that you will not be able to meter light with them.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me to spend all this money on a crop sensor camera that is almost useless with most existing manual lenses.

The way I see it is: you wish a Nikon camera? Buy a Nikon camera, nothing else that is not-Nikon will really be it.

Or, do you wish maximum compatibility with (really) all Nikkor lenses including the pre-AI? Then your only current choices in the digital reflex arena are only Olympus or Canon.

Finally I can't understand when you say that you don't need a full frame. You have probably the bigger website about manual focus lenses existing on the internet, with a lot of lens tests on it, so testing a lens should be important for you. The way I see it, a full frame camera is the logical choice for you, because it's the only way to fully test a lens - otherwise you will only test the central parts of your lens optics.

Of course, the above is valid if you can afford the money for a full frame camera, if you can't, then it makes sense to stay in the range below 1,000 and get the best camera that you can. But if you are ready to spend 1500 Euros on a camera, then to my mind there is no reason to spend that much money on a crop camera that can not mount or fully use the 90% of your manual lenses, when with just a little more you can get a better, more professional, and much more compatible camera, that you can use with ALL your Nikkor lenses, AND your M42 lenses, AND your Zuiko lenses, and so on.

The finally the money is yours and you should do what makes you most happy with it! Smile
But since you asked for an opinion, well, here's mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have probably the bigger website about manual focus lenses existing on the internet, with a lot of lens tests on it, so testing a lens should be important for you. The way I see it, a full frame camera is the logical choice for you, because it's the only way to fully test a lens - otherwise you will only test the central parts of your lens optics.

Agreed - you can find any number of sites with tests of MF and/or AF lenses all with comments on how great a lens performs (or not....) and come away thinking that maybe you should consider that lens (or not....).

Then you realise that the site owners haven't actually told you what type of sensor was used so you don't know how relevant the images are to your own requirements.

Was it a crop sensor or was it FF?

Some may tell you, but some don't, so you're really no further forward.

Take Canon's most popular WA zoom; the EF17-40L for example. Stick it on a 400D, read the comments and be amazed....

Then shove it on a 5D and read the comments...... Wink

The 5D is probably the most cost-effective and adaptable test-bed you can have for testing lenses - it'll show you in graphic, and sometimes gory (!), detail exactly how a lens performs in the centre, at the edges, and in the corners. If the lens gets through that, it's suitability for a crop sensor is virtually guaranteed.

It's not a bad camera either..... Wink

Last edited by bob955i on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,okay you have right guys absolutely logical your answer, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know when you get the 5D..... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in this year I guess Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on until they bring out it's successor and the prices may drop even more.

Seriously, if you do get one, you won't regret it - some say that it's IQ approaches that of medium format. I don't know about that though - maybe on print film it might, but not for slide, especially using something like Velvia 50. Whatever the case, it really is an excellent bit of kit.

Last edited by bob955i on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. Don't need to rush.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - just because the latest and greatest may or may not be on the horizon, that won't make it any less of a good camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the successor of 5D - if there's going to be any soon, which is not sure - will not sport revolutionary features, more probably it will make the current design more user friendly, like:

- adding an antidust sensor shaker

- updating CMOS technology to version 3 (higher dynamic range and faster processing)

- improving the current LCD with the one currently on the 400D (more faithful colours)

- redistributing the commands so that you won't need to use the quite discomfortable and dark top LCD. In other words, make the same changes that were brought from 350D to 400D

- replacing battery model with a longer life one (such as on the 400D)

In other words I think they will take the improvements brought to the 400D and apply them to the successor of the 5D.
Until the competition doesn't offer a full frame camera in the same price range, Canon will not be forced to bring major changes to the 5D line.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's four things I'd like to see...

Make the Direct Print button assignable or at least a dedicated MLU button.

Allow you to observe the ISO setting in the viewfinder and not just on the top display.

Release an affordable manual focus oriented focus screen with proper focus aids like a split-screen or microprism that will permit accurate focus without screwing up the cameras' metering and which can also be used with AF lenses.

Illuminate the metering display independently of through the lens so that you can still see it when stopped down.