Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujica STX-1 -- Any Good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Fujica STX-1 -- Any Good? Reply with quote

I know the STX-1 takes the Fuji X lenses, but I'm wondering a few things:

For an X-lens body, is this a good choice? Know of a better one?

Or do you Fuji fans prefer the Fujica models that take the M42 lenses. ST605? ST705? ST801?

The M42 Fujicas appear to be very robust cameras, but I don't know anything about them other than what I've read. They would seem to be interesting alternatives to the Spotmatics. But what about the STX series? And what about the X-series Fujinons? I did an eBay search, but it seems that most of the hits I got were for the mirrorless rangefinders . . . ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first camera given to me by my dad in 1975 was a Fujica ST705W. I still have it and still use it occasionally and it works as well today as it ever did. AFAIK, the STX-1 was a fully manual camera with a bayonet mount equivalent to the earlier M42 mount ST605.

Here's my 40 year old Fujica:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Edgar. That's a rather handsome looking camera. And I'll bet that the M42 Fujinon you have mounted to it is an excellent optic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather recommend the AX-5 or AX-3 models over the older M42 ST-types as on the AX models you can use both AX and M42 lenses but you cannot use any AX lens on an ST-body. The M42 to AX adapter isn't expensive and gives you better versatility.
Also the type of battery used in the AX models (6V) is easy available nowadays compared to the old 1.5 V style mercury battery of the ST-models.
Those AX models are quite nice to handle and offer more comfort too.
Look here: Click here to see on Ebay

I have all 3 different AX models (1/3/5). The AX-3 is a nice camera. Actually it was my first own SLR camera. Wink

The whole AX system: http://www.billead.com/fujinon/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STX-1 is fine, the ax-1, AX-3 or 5 are also fine. I don't think you will go wrong with whatever one you pick.

This is part of my collection.
I actually used them all, and liked them all.

ST801

AX-1

STX-1

ST-705W

AX-3

ST-901

ST-605n

AZ-1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some collection! I couldn't help but notice the book you're posing those cameras on. Could you tell me the full title and author, please? I might want to add a copy to my library -- if I can find one.

Ah, I found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0803823606/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Wow, that's some collection! I couldn't help but notice the book you're posing those cameras on. Could you tell me the full title and author, please? I might want to add a copy to my library -- if I can find one.

Ah, I found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0803823606/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

WOW! That book has gone up in price. I grabbed mine on eBay for $5.00, but that was quite some time ago. It's actually a small book and more a collectable than a useful tool.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't surprise me. Some of Amazon's partner booksellers ask crazy prices for old NOS books. I guess somebody pays those prices or else they wouldn't be asking them. I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
The STX-1 is fine, the ax-1, AX-3 or 5 are also fine. I don't think you will go wrong with whatever one you pick.

ST801

AX-1

STX-1

ST-705W

AX-3

ST-901

ST-605n

AZ-1

which of these cameras would you recommend to a newbie?

I would like to start with film camera and I am really unsure about my choice.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piepa wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

ST801

AX-1

STX-1

ST-705W

AX-3

ST-901

ST-605n

AZ-1

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used

Fuji ST 605

Fuji ST 705

Fuji AZ-1

Fuji ST 801

Fuji ST 901

The last was a dream to me. The AZ-1 very fast camera.

The 19 mm was a good lens. I used it with the Rolleiflex SL 35 E and adapter too.

TO my eyes, the fujinon lenses not better than takumars ones.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DigiChromeEd"]
Piepa wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

thanks

Sorry it took me 5 months to respond to this. I didn't see your question because it was embedded in my original quote.

I would suggest the ST801 or the ST705w, both are solid cameras. The 705w tops out -1500 and the 801- 2000, they should both give you enough speed. The ST705w can use a winder, so that's a small bonus on that model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes shoot for AX-5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Sometimes shoot for AX-5

Yes, the AX line are nice camera's, yours looks extremely clean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have modern autofocus XF lenses , can I use it with AX and STX series without adapter ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gat3keeper wrote:
I have modern autofocus XF lenses , can I use it with AX and STX series without adapter ?

No