Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujian 80mm F1.0!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Fujian 80mm F1.0! Reply with quote

Hello lens fans,

As you know that I am interested in rare Chinese lenses so that I picked this one up that no one seems interested in at last week's camera fair in Beijing for a very high price. Don't ask me what it is for, and nither for an image with it as I don't know how to use it, and it is very heavy at more than 3 kilogrames!

It has a 78mm thread mount, and a front diameter of 118mm. It focus from 5 meters to infinate, and an aperture from F1 down to F16.
I know that Nikon has a 85mmm F1.0 reproduction lens. But that lens is much smaller and lighter without a focusing ring. This lens has 12 aperture blades, and appears well made and finished. It could have a similar application as that of the Nikon 85mm F1.0 lens, and I checked its image with a ground glass. It has very short focual plane, and the image seems very crisp. Smile
The s/n of 77202 indicates that it was made in 1977, but I doubt if more than 200 lenses were made in 1977 alone? Could lens experts out there share with us your knowleadge about these type of lenses? Rolling Eyes

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rare indeed! And quite interesting as well...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a giant lens!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fujian 80mm F1.0! Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
It has very short focual plane, and the image seems very crisp.

How big image circle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find, what mount is it and have you used it yet?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fujian 80mm F1.0! Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
kievuser wrote:

How big image circle?

It seems it covers full 35mm frame.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Interesting find, what mount is it and have you used it yet?

It has a screw mount of 78mm in diameter. It has a very short focul plane of about 20mm so that I can't use it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any lens experts out there think it is a copy of something, please let me know its original and its application. Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It looks like a very nice lens. Why there isn't such a camera fair in Guandong area?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fujian 80mm F1.0! Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
kievuser wrote:

How big image circle?

movie lens?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fujian 80mm F1.0! Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
kievuser wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
kievuser wrote:

How big image circle?

movie lens?

That is what the seller claimed, but I am not so sure. I have seen images of Chinese Arri standard mount cine prime 85mm T1.4 that is much smaller and focuses much closer. Here is rear view of the lens FYI. Its front lens cap is also unique.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Wow! It looks like a very nice lens. Why there isn't such a camera fair in Guandong area?

Guangdong is much closer to Fujian. Wink The camera fair is held twice a year. Someone picked up a 'Five Goats' TLR that was made in Guangzhou.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low flying aerial photo?

Maybe not 5 meters anyhow. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting find! A guy published images of a Fujian made 52mm F1.0 lens on a Chinesse forum. Now I began to think that these super fast lenses have a similar application as that of Nikon 85/1.0 1:1 reproduction lens. Does someone know why these lenses are needed?

This 52mm F1.0 lens focuses down to 0.7 meter, and it has a thread mount of 65x1mm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the focusing to infinity makes me wonder....However the short back focusing brings image amplification up, so it might have been a lens for low light (i.e. night) applications using an image amplifier as that usually is mounted directly onto such lens. Also the relatively large mount diameter would be an indication for that. Certainly not an Xray lens, as infinity focus would make no sense then. The iris could have been used to control DOF as well as to control the amount of light entering the amplifier. So in simple words, was made for observation, military or intelligence use. Closest focus 5 meters for a 80mm lens also speaks for that...

GOI in Russia made similar lenses for similar use btw.

Just guessing...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, the focusing to infinity makes me wonder....However the short back focusing brings image amplification up, so it might have been a lens for low light (i.e. night) applications using an image amplifier as that usually is mounted directly onto such lens. Also the relatively large mount diameter would be an indication for that. Certainly not an Xray lens, as infinity focus would make no sense then. The iris could have been used to control DOF as well as to control the amount of light entering the amplifier. So in simple words, was made for observation, military or intelligence use. Closest focus 5 meters for a 80mm lens also speaks for that...

Just guessing...

Many thanks for your kind reply! Although not 100% convinced, your educated guessing could be very close to truth. My only doubt comes from the DF 1:1 inscription on the 52mm F1.0 lens. I assume these two lenses might have similar applications.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
applications using an image amplifier as that usually is mounted directly onto such lens. Also the relatively large mount diameter would be an indication for that.

Doesn't that make the amplifier itself huge, not handheld anyways? If it is built into a tank or some other vehicle, then I understand.

So it is a night vision military surveillance / propaganda film camera lens? Smile

edit: I can actually see the purpose of that in 1977.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Just guessing...

Many thanks for your kind reply! Although not 100% convinced, your educated guessing could be very close to truth. My only doubt comes from the DF 1:1 inscription on the 52mm F1.0 lens. I assume these two lenses might have similar applications.

Well, the intensifiers I had in mind had 40mm useful image diameter and a outer diameter of 70mm.

But of course, it could all be bogus and it was used for something completely different...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, do image intensifier lenses have F-stops?

This Zenit 100mm f/1.5 doesn't seem to:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290767209030?orig_cvip=true
Nor this Zenit 160mm f/1.3:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290729413539?orig_cvip=true

There's a massive list of mounts here but it doesn't seem to correspond with any of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount