Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujian 35mm F/1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Where can these Fujian C-mount lenses be purchased?

I bought mine on Ebay Wink

This lens has very soft edges, but can be useful as a special effect lens wide open. Edge sharpness improves when stopped down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received mine from eBay. The aperture ring is almost stuck, and it won't open all the way to f/1.7 (you can see a hint of the blades). It takes a decent amount of force to close it to f/16, and then it even goes past that! I got mine past f/16 and the blades crushed into each other, not a pretty sight Smile The focus ring is smoother, but nothing as I expected (although it seems to be getting smoother the more I play with it).

Did you find your copies to be similar? I'm particularly worried about the aperture ring...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. My copy has a smooth focus ring and a very smooth aperture, sometimes even too smooth, so that you change it accidentally.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I got a lemon, then Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:

It looks like it, I'm afraid. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Anacondo wrote:

It looks like it, I'm afraid. Sad

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the seller and told him about this. He assured me they check their items before sending to avoid these situations, but promptly offered to send me another one, free of charge. He didn't even ask me to send this one back! A little suspicious, if you ask me... Oh, well, these Chinese eBay sellers and their mysterious ways... Rolling Eyes

So now I have a spare 35mm f/1.7 to play with. I suppose I will try to disassemble it and fix it myself. Has anyone tried in the past? I'm not new to disassembling lenses, but by no means good at it Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
I contacted the seller and told him about this. He assured me they check their items before sending to avoid these situations, but promptly offered to send me another one, free of charge. He didn't even ask me to send this one back! A little suspicious, if you ask me... Oh, well, these Chinese eBay sellers and their mysterious ways... Rolling Eyes

So now I have a spare 35mm f/1.7 to play with. I suppose I will try to disassemble it and fix it myself. Has anyone tried in the past? I'm not new to disassembling lenses, but by no means good at it Very Happy

Very good, we welcome nice gestures like that Wink
Please document and share pictures and thoughts if you open your lens! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one of these for the same price. Need to charge up the NEX and go out with it soon but from testing it looks to be sharp in the centre so I don't think I have a terrible one. It's necessary to partially unscrew the lens from the c-mount adapter in order to change the aperture though, possibly due to it being recessed into the camera body slightly.

Dave, you should post some of the shots from your flickr in this thread, the one of the Land Rover is beautiful and the fence shot really shows off the shallow DOF.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center sharpness of this lens is in general good as mentioned, but you have to stop down hard to get some sharpness out in the corners on a m43 system.

So I guess that U never can get the corners sharp on a Nex with larger sensor than m43.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
I've just bought one of these for the same price. Need to charge up the NEX and go out with it soon but from testing it looks to be sharp in the centre so I don't think I have a terrible one. It's necessary to partially unscrew the lens from the c-mount adapter in order to change the aperture though, possibly due to it being recessed into the camera body slightly.

Dave, you should post some of the shots from your flickr in this thread, the one of the Land Rover is beautiful and the fence shot really shows off the shallow DOF.

Only just saw this! Here we go:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Smile

I think this will be the next lens I buy for my G1. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Dave, I like the color boost Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'd like to add that I haven't meddled with the colours more than my usual parameters that I apply to all photos, the lens delivers very good saturation and and it was a very golden sunset!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those images (fantastic light!) excellently show the way this lens renders. Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

Fantastic. Great use of the lens!

Would you mind describing your processing workflow?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGH wrote:
fatdeeman wrote:

Fantastic. Great use of the lens!

Would you mind describing your processing workflow?

Yes of course, all these shots were processed in a batch that added the same adjustments to each file and then resized them and added a black boarder.

First the raw files had the levels auto adjusted in capture one and then saved as tiffs, then inside photoshop the curves are tweaked to give a very shallow "s", then + 5 saturation, + 15 vibrance (I find this one handy as it ignores colours that are already well saturated and just has a subtle effect on dull colours) and then + 10 contrast.

That's the adjustments I apply to pretty much all photos and then sometimes I enhance specific colours and dodge and burn etc but all of these photos were just put through a batch action to save time.

I used to shoot jpeg but I was never happy with the contrast and found it was either two low or so high that a lot of shadow detail was lost so now I shoot raw because I find it helps me have the best balance between snappy contrast and decent dynamic range. Although I like strong saturation and contrast I generally apply the same settings regardless of the lens and I wont try and beef up the results from a dull lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave, that was very helpful. I am still trying to figure out a good workflow in Lightroom as I don't really fancy spending much time post-processing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another from the Fujian today

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I wonder if these perform any better on the new Nex, which seems to give better corner performance from wide lenses?

Yes! The 35 1.7 seems to be visibly better on my new 5N than on my (sold) NEX-3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
I contacted the seller and told him about this. He assured me they check their items before sending to avoid these situations, but promptly offered to send me another one, free of charge. He didn't even ask me to send this one back! A little suspicious, if you ask me...

Is it suspicious that they trust you? Smile

I also discovered this lens recently and I like it very much - it is very sharp in the center.

Here are some of my samples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6986288715

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6844410746

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/6847409804

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this lens for a little while now and while I can produce some nice images with it from time to time it is really hard to really "nail" shots with it. It behaves absolutely horribly in back lit scenes most of the time. But it does make a neat little package with my NEX-5N.

I must add that my copy isn't very sharp at all, even in the middle and stopped down.

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image quality may not be the best but this lens and Wesley 24 mm and e-pl1 does make a small package that is easy to carry around. Here is a sample, coworkers kid (cropped and resized):

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote