Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

From EV To dynamic range
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: From EV To dynamic range Reply with quote

Hi all,
my nex-f3 digital camera when I am shooting shows me in a scale
that goes from -3 to +3 what is the average I get in terms of exposure with the specific settings.

I wonder: why I Should interpret these number?
Does this mean that my camera has a latitude of 6 Evs in total (from -3 to +3)?

I have read somewhere (I think Dxo Marks) that my camera has a dynamic range for 12 (well I guess the exact number is needed for my question). How the Evs I mentioned above are translated to the achieved dynamic range?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EV range has nothing to do with dynamic range. If the EV range is from -3 EV to +3 it is because the manufacturer of the camera thought this range is sufficient for most situations that a photographer will encounter in practice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meter range is 6 stops.

Meter shows only 6-stop segment of camera's 12-stop dynamic range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are to allow for exposure adjustments in certain lighting conditions. You have similar on your Minolta round the ASA dial.

If I am photographing an objrct against a white background, the camera will 'average out' all it sees and will tend to under expose it. I move the marker to +1.0 it over exposes by a stop for every shot. The exposure looks more balanced. If I'm using a black or dark background it will over expose, compensating the other way. I use -1.0 to -2.0 for a more realistic exposure

Sometimes if you are doing night shots, the camera will expose so that the scene looks bright as day. I use -2.0 or -3.0 to keep the image darker and more realistic.

Or I may have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick regards your question.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think is the exposure compensation.

When I am at manual mode (and thus no compensation) I can see a scale at the bottom of the screen that has a line legend that looks like that

-3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

and there is an arrow above that moves above then as I adjust aperture and or shutter speed.

What I am confusing here?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scale is just for exposure compensation. In M mode it simply shows how far to the left/right you are with your manual settings from what the meter is getting. This has nothing to do with the properties of the sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. thanks.. and if then shows me how off I am.. how I can find if a specific spot of my scene would be inside my sensors capabilities? If my camera have lets say 12ev dynamic range it would be fun to show me if I fall inside this region or not.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
I do not think is the exposure compensation.

When I am at manual mode (and thus no compensation) I can see a scale at the bottom of the screen that has a line legend that looks like that

-3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

and there is an arrow above that moves above then as I adjust aperture and or shutter speed.

What I am confusing here?

You are looking at the scale of the camera's exposure meter.

Scale range is 6 stops.

Scale shows only 6-stop segment of camera's 12-stop dynamic range.

If your camera has spot meter mode, yes this scale shows correct exposure of spot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the answers. We then agree if my camera has 12 ev dynamic range my camera shows me only 6 in total from -3 to +3 instead of -6 to +6...

Now, lets say that I want to kill all information from something I shoot and turn it into pure black.. how many stops should I go down to make sure that all the information from that region turns black? Should that be 6 stops or not?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi,
thanks for the answers. We then agree if my camera has 12 ev dynamic range my camera shows me only 6 in total from -3 to +3 instead of -6 to +6...

Now, lets say that I want to kill all information from something I shoot and turn it into pure black.. how many stops should I go down to make sure that all the information from that region turns black? Should that be 6 stops or not?

Regards
Alex

Up to twelve stops, of course, depending on brightness at something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it 12 stops then how I can calculate that I am killing all the information from that spot? Is it only the nex cameras that do not show that type of information?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
if it 12 stops then how I can calculate that I am killing all the information from that spot? Is it only the nex cameras that do not show that type of information?

Regards
Alex

Use brain to calculate settings for 12 stops less than what meter shows for spot.

What cameras do show that information?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,, I am not sure.
I recall I read somewhere ( a book I owe...but I have to dig it out)
that with three stops down you can be sure that you killed mostly all information coming from that spot... but this might have been something also the author knew from film that has something like 5-6 stops dynamic range.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
well,, I am not sure.
I recall I read somewhere ( a book I owe...but I have to dig it out)
that with three stops down you can be sure that you killed mostly all information coming from that spot... but this might have been something also the author knew from film that has something like 5-6 stops dynamic range.

Ah, I made a mistake. You are correct...only half the dynamic range is needed to kill spot info...3 stops for film...6 stops for digital.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am continuing with this discussion with slightly different angle

in the video you would find below

the photographer said that our eyes can see 12stops of dynamic range

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/complete-hdr-tutorial/

around at 4:50 until 5:30

I wonder though why my nex-f3 with around 12 ev dynamic range can not capture all the details my eye see.

What I am doing wrong here?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you might have visited this site http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for remining me!!
Alex