Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Free lens for anyone with a Nikon 1, Pentax Q or Lumix m4/3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Free lens for anyone with a Nikon 1, Pentax Q or Lumix m4/3 Reply with quote

Hi folks

I have acquired a few Pentax/Cosmicar 1.5/8.5mm lenses and they don't come close to covering the NEX sensor:

I'm looking for someone who is prepared to test one on these on a suitable camera such as the Nikon 1, Pentax Q or a Panasonic Lumix m4/3 with video zoom mode.

I just want to see if they work, how the result is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at that image, I guess the only cam which is suitable is the Pentax Q.
I guess eben the Nikon's sensor is too big.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same mistake. Cine lenses are not for the NEX.
The micro 4/3 is quite different: if you put the cam into "sqare mode", (I think it's possible on the Panasonic ones), depending on the lens, you barely perceive the vignetting.
Someone was too quick putting in the market such C adapters for the NEX.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
The micro 4/3 is quite different: if you put the cam into "sqare mode", (I think it's possible on the Panasonic ones), depending on the lens, you barely perceive the vignetting.

Regards.
Jes.

Don't give up some cine lens cover well NEX sensors and vignetting not always bad, I did really like 10mm Tevidon on m4/3 big vignetting but you can crop it and finally you will have a 20mm lens on m4/3 , disadvantage only require machine works to make perfect on m4/3.
I saw with my eyes two cine lenses at local fair which did cover NEX perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still there are some, only a few though, c-mount lenses that work well on a NEX.
For those it is great to have the adapters. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I do have the Q, but it's being repaired under warranty. I hope to have it back in the coming two weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few C mount lenses, mostly big zooms and none came close to covering the NEX sensor, sadly.

I would be delighted to send one of these to Holland for your Q, just let me have an address and I'll pop it in the post. As this lens is made by Pentax, I'm sure it will be welcomed in your collection.

I am intrigued to see how these C mount cosmicars work on the Q and what the IQ is like, a Q with a few C mount lenses would make a nice kit for travel shooting.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Regards.
Jes.

Don't give up some cine lens cover well NEX sensors and vignetting not always bad, I did really like 10mm Tevidon on m4/3 big vignetting but you can crop it and finally you will have a 20mm lens on m4/3 , disadvantage only require machine works to make perfect on m4/3.
I saw with my eyes two cine lenses at local fair which did cover NEX perfectly.

Thanks for the info, Attila.

I will not give up, Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, you can of course wait until the Q is sent back to me. I've never had a serious chance to use it after I bought it: it constantly freezes.

FYI: I'm also eager to try out my 8-48mm f/1.0 and 6mm f/1.2 Cosmicars.

I have two identical 9mm f/1.4 TV Fujinons here, both untested also. Maybe we can do a straight swap Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for anything in return but if you find the lens useful I'd be happy to take a Fujinon.

I'm leaning towards picking up a small sensor camera at some point as I just like the idea of a tiny camera with a C mount lens or two in my pocket.

The really wide 4.3mm Cosmicar looks appealing, not quite a fisheye but still very wide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4.3mm sounds interesting to me too. I'll let you know when I know more about the repair of my Q...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI The Nikon 1 Sensor is as wide as the image circle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the lens, thank you Ian! Unfortunately the front filter was dinged but maybe it was already like that. No problem, it's a free lens after all Smile

I had to remove the set screws first (three for the focus ring, three for the diaphragm ring).

My verdict, and those are the very first quick samples, is that the borders are weak (as expected). The center is sharp enough for a wide angle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the Q has a very nice coverage for an 8mm wide lens Smile
Even with the soft edges it looks very much useable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Peter. All four have dings in the filter ring, I considered try to straighten it, but I feared doing more damage than good. The set screws are annoying, I didn't have an allen key the right size, I have ordered one, still hasn't arrived though.

I'm surprised the lens hasn't got more distortion, the horizontal lines look pretty straight to me. Corners are a bit soft as you say, but it does look useable.

Hope you find a use for it, despite the corners.