Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Found an Angenieux 100mm f2 Type s3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Found an Angenieux 100mm f2 Type s3 Reply with quote

I was digging through a box of camera stuff I inherited a few years ago. Mostly cheap Canon FD zooms, but there was one interesting lens in a nice box so I thought I'd check if it's worth anything these days. Just about s#!t myself... the few references I could find had it going for $10k+. It's an Angenieux 100mm f2 Type S3. It's definitely not mint, but appears fully functional. The aperture blades are smooth as butter (although they also show wear).

I couldn't find much info on the internet about the lens other than it makes my Leica seem cheap! I've never dealt with anything this spendy and could use some advice. Do they really go for that much money? Do people use them or are they more collectibles? Should I send it to a shop to clean it up and grade it? If so, recommendations? Just chuck it on ebay after that?

And yes, I know I'm a schmuck for stumbling across it =) I'm still kind of dumbfounded!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Valuble lens in HK or Taiwan collectors and manual lens user pay pretty nice amount for this lens, best what you can do sell to them and buy many new toys to your self.
10K+ is asking price and I expect well known rubbish sellers, real price probably 5K or less in this case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looking to sell it! Thanks for the head's up. $5k is still a lot of money for toys, I agree! =)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151602161415?rmvSB=true
In VG condition and all the bits it would be worth a mint, anything less than that and the price would drop fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god the year begin nicely for you Wink
i wish to get a bunch of lenses and found something like this inside !
41 000US dollar for a lens comon !! i will buy all lenses of Zeiss for this price Wink and a CAR !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$41k? !!! OMG!

Rando, my boy, you have found gold in that junk bin of yours!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

41k??? Oh my. Jackpot indeed.

I'd sell that thing quick as can be. No lens is worth that much, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 100mm f/2 S3 Find Reply with quote

Hello all,

I too purchased a lot of camera lenses a few weeks ago and was stunned to find one of these lenses among them. Not bad for an $8 dollar a lens purchase! Does anyone know how this can be modified to a Leica mount? The threads sit about 35mm high on the read of the camera and I've never seen an adapter to fit something like this. I would assume they must exist somewhere for others prime cine lenses, I've just never seen them. I most likely will be selling it after it returns from it's CLA, but would love to snap a few shots prior to that. Thanks for any insight you all might have!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not modify that lens in any way if it were mine. If you really want to see how it performs, you can always just hold it in front of a camera and take pics that way. Kind of crude, but if you're careful with alignment, you can often get decent photos.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you use it for then? Cinematography or just a collectible?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux 100mm f/2 S3 Find Reply with quote

rwichowski wrote:
Hello all,

I too purchased a lot of camera lenses a few weeks ago and was stunned to find one of these lenses among them. Not bad for an $8 dollar a lens purchase! Does anyone know how this can be modified to a Leica mount? The threads sit about 35mm high on the read of the camera and I've never seen an adapter to fit something like this. I would assume they must exist somewhere for others prime cine lenses, I've just never seen them. I most likely will be selling it after it returns from it's CLA, but would love to snap a few shots prior to that. Thanks for any insight you all might have!

Post some pics of the lens and mount.
I have a Type P2 135/2.5 but it had some home made mount on it, I couldn't figure out how it was mounted, there was a tiny hole with a pin inside it, I couldn't get my screwdrivers to back out so I jumped the gun and decided to drilled the pin, that released the mount to expose an Exakta mount, I ended up doing minor harm to the mount 😩 but I do see a way to fix it and re-chrome the repair so it would look untouched, so it wasn't a complete disaster, but I still wish I had spent more time investigating it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux 100mm f/2 S3 Find Reply with quote

rwichowski wrote:
Hello all,

It is relatively easy to adapt any lens made for an SLR to Leica, though it will cost a pretty penny to have it rangefinder coupled if you are using an old Leica. There are a zillion adapters for popular 35mm systems to the newer Leica digital mounts.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an even higher quoted price for the S3 here:
https://jerrybei.com/reviews/2018/11/21/angenieux-p2-100mm-f25-lens
however the shown samples are of a P2 Angenieux.