Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fotodiox Pro for Canon FD to Fujifilm X-mount body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Fotodiox Pro for Canon FD to Fujifilm X-mount body Reply with quote

I picked up a Canon nFD 300mm F4 L lens recently and a Fotodiox Pro lens mount adapter. The adapter fits the camera body very nicely. However, there is some slop and looseness between the adapter and the Canon lens.

I'm not sure how much I should accept. It doesn't make the combination unusable, but it also does not inspire confidence.

There is also not a nice "click" when the Canon mounts. It's been a while since I've mounted a Canon FD lens, but I thought they had a nice click.

I'll like stop by my local camera shop and see what they have. I'm pretty sure they sell K&F mounts.

The Canon lens is practically pristine. It seems very unlikely the problem is in its mount.

Also, the Canon is amazingly sharp and lovely to use. I'm using it on a Fujifilm X-S10 which gets me iBIS which is helping a lot. The lens is also not as big as I imagined nor as heavy. I "tested" the concept by getting a beat Minolta 300mm Rokkor F4.5 and that lens is much heavier than the Canon.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

My knowledge of Canon FD is limited and I know nothing about Fujifilm cameras. But I can tell you my one nFD lens clicks and locks positively on my only Canon FD body.

The lens also clicks and locks onto my two cheap, FD to Sony adapters. The Fotasy adapter has almost no wiggle or wobble at all. With the other no name adapter there's a bit of wiggle, but no danger of the lens coming off until the release button is pressed.

I'd also be uncomfortable if a lens didn't attach solidly to an adapter. Do you happen to have an FD body to mount your 300 on for comparison?

Last edited by 55 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two adapters coming - K&F Pro and a Fotasy, so we'll see. The lens is nearly new and has no wear marks or anything. If I continue to have trouble, I'll bring it in to my local camera shop. I'm sure there are some FD bodies I can test with. (The shop was out of nFD to Fuji X-mount or I would have bought from them.)

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen and owned many aftermarket Canon FD lenses and adapters, and *not*a*single*one* uses the Canon New FD mount. Sigma got kinda close with a mount that looked like New FD, but which was actually a breechlock mount.

With a breechlock mount, whether Canon or aftermarket, the locking ring is turned until snug. There is never a "click" with a breechlock mount. With a New FD mount there is a click. I own a Fotodiox FD to EOS adapter, and it has the traditional FD breechlock ring. So I must ask, does your Fotodiox adapter *really* have a New FD mount, or is it breechlock? If the latter, there is no click, but also, by its design, it is a very snug mount and there should be no play or wobble in the mount. If there is, that Fotodiox adapter is defective.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have seen and owned many aftermarket Canon FD lenses and adapters, and *not*a*single*one* uses the Canon New FD mount. Sigma got kinda close with a mount that looked like New FD, but which was actually a breechlock mount.

With a breechlock mount, whether Canon or aftermarket, the locking ring is turned until snug. There is never a "click" with a breechlock mount. With a New FD mount there is a click. I own a Fotodiox FD to EOS adapter, and it has the traditional FD breechlock ring. So I must ask, does your Fotodiox adapter *really* have a New FD mount, or is it breechlock? If the latter, there is no click, but also, by its design, it is a very snug mount and there should be no play or wobble in the mount. If there is, that Fotodiox adapter is defective.

First, happy to report that a Fotasy adapter worked well. Once I got the darn Lock <-> Open bit worked out! Now that I understand which side the pin is supposed to be on relative to the lens, I should be able to remember. But, since I've never seen an FD work from that vantage point, and it's been about 20 years since I've owned an FD mount lens, it was moderately annoying. Small scratch on the lens pin, now.

Lock to mount, Open to use. Open can be thought of as "Allowing the aperture to Open (and close) freely." "Lock" will lock the aperture to full open and is needed to mount the adapter. As far as I can tell.

At any rate, it holds the lens well. Unlike with the Fotodiox, I was not bothered at all hanging the lens from the body using the body camera strap. I'm not going to suggest all Fotodiox are bad, but this was a bad copy in my opinion.

Lens is a mint Canon 300mm nFD F4 L.

As for breach or nFD... it sort of has a nice little pop when fully engaged. The button on the lens does pop out. There is a not a gradual tightening, really. More like a turn and done sort of feeling.

I like it. I still have one more coming (K&F Pro). I'll have a run-off!

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotasy and K&F were about the same. I kept both.

Mike