Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus trapping on Nikon D7000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Focus trapping on Nikon D7000 Reply with quote

Back here from Canon to Nikon - and still some manual stuff. I wonder if anybody knows (or can find out) if there is a way to trick my Nikon D7000 into focus trapping with MF lenses by using an AF converter.

Normal focus trapping procedure on Nikon D7000 (and others, don't know exactly which ones) is:
    Set Custom settings / Autofocus /AF priority selection (AF-s or AF-C) to: focus priority (shutter only releases when an object is in focus)
    Set Custom Settings / Controls / Assign AF-L/AE-L button to: AF-on (focussing only possible with AE-L button)
    Mount AF lens and focus using AE-L button
    Swerve lens away from object, keep shutter fully pressed and aim lens back at prefocused object - snap!

Someplaces I read that this trick also works with full manual Nikon lenses with a Dandelion chip - but mounting such a chip is something for the advanced (anybody got adresses?)
The in-between way might be mounting a Nikon AF converter and a MF lens. Since I haven't got a converter ready (or available in my neighbourhood) my question is:
Could anybody mount a Nikon AF converter with a MF Nikon lens, try the above procedure and report results? Would be lovely if it worked - macro's with my Kiron 105 should become that much more easy, and my Tair 300 could become a bit more useful (?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Nikon D7000 but a Nikon D2Hs and the AF converter (TC 16a) works well with all my manual Ai lenses...but this converter does not work with my D700 and also not with the D7000 or it must be modified (like here described: http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/ ).....but I'm not sure it replys to your question Rolling Eyes !!!!
Actualy, I'm looking for someone to make this modification for me Very Happy .....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that TC16A works with older Nikons and MF-lenses (I have one and it does the trick on my 501, too) and I know about the foolography-hack, which has to do with the positioning of the contacts of the TC16A for the AF control. That's why I was hoping that another AF converter with its contacts in the right position might do the same as the TC16A for your D2H and film Nikons. I'm still anxious to get experimental confirmation (or not, of course Sad )

As far as the mod is concerned: I'm also interested in someone who could do the conversion, just as in someone who could mount Dandelion-chips on my MF-lenses. Looks like there's a calling for a person with fine mechanical feeling and a lathe Idea