Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus screen for 40D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

Well,I just installed the EFS screen into the 40D last night. I had a chance to use it in daylight today. This is how things should look in the viewfinder window. Also, Metering is now working evenly with all lenses at all f stops. One more reason to grab at this camera over other offerings.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Andy - I shall certainly look at it although I think it may have to wait a bit

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Well,I just installed the EFS screen into the 40D last night. I had a chance to use it in daylight today. This is how things should look in the viewfinder window. Also, Metering is now working evenly with all lenses at all f stops. One more reason to grab at this camera over other offerings.
Andy

I had exactly the same results when I installed it on the 5D. Light metering became perfect. I wonder why they don't install this screen as default.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had exactly the same results when I installed it on the 5D. Light metering became perfect. I wonder why they don't install this screen as default.

It would make sense that they would. They don't even make enough to keep up with demand. B+H has sold out every shipment they get and quickly. I ordered mine when I bought the camera in October. Now I can finally give the shift lens a proper trial with Digital.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Andy

Maybe the standard focusing screen works better with AF lenses. Another reason could be that it is cheaper to manufacture (this one less likely) Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Because many lenses Canon is solding are not fast enought for that screen. It's darker past f2.8 than the original one, so imagine with a a f4 or less max aperture lens...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Maybe the standard focusing screen works better with AF lenses. Another reason could be that it is cheaper to manufacture (this one less likely) Rolling Eyes

AF sensors are not relying on the focus screen : they are located under the camera room.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Focus screen for 40D Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Juanma wrote:

AF sensors are not relying on the focus screen : they are located under the camera room.

I was thinking in the metering system, not the AF module. With an AF lens, you always meter with the lens wide open, while with the MF lens you do it with the lens stopped down. The results are different.
Also I've read several times that changing the focusing screen the metering changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are terrible - I just bought one new in box unopened from a guy who changed his mind about the 40D at the last minute. Dsicounted as well.

patrickh Smile Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Patrickh. It really does complete the camera for MF use. Pretty inexpensive piece to the puzzle even without discount. I hope yours is in perfect shape.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy / Orio

I have the EF-S screen installed. What a major improvement! Thanks for the advice

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Andy / Orio

I have the EF-S screen installed. What a major improvement! Thanks for the advice

patrickh

Patrick, Andy:

Some questions:

1. Did you install the focusing screen by yourselves?
2. Is it an "official" Canon one or is another brand?
3. Dou you lose something?. I recall that for the 350D, the VV focusing screen did lose the red indicators in the screen.

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes,
The 40D have swappable focus screen. They are from Canon and easy to install. Nothing is lost and the metering is even more precise.
The EF-S get darker after 2.8 but still very clear compared to the screen I had on the 400D
On the 400D I shim the screen 100x times to achieve good focus Evil or Very Mad
Thanks to sunshine positive reports I get a 40D and very happy Smile
You get perfect result with the pentax and I am happy for you.
Today we have many excellent alternatives and concurrence is good for the price.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can endorse what poilu says. Took me all of two minutes to make the change and I am definitely not handy. Screen works a charm and exposures seem to be accurate.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi Jes,
The 40D have swappable focus screen. They are from Canon and easy to install. Nothing is lost and the metering is even more precise...

If I ever happen to treat myself to a 40D, I will surely try to get this EFS screen as well! Now, this cam is an even bigger temptation!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dark would the screen be at say f/8 through f/16. Would it still be useable?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will darken quite a bit! "Useable" depends on how much light is in the scene. I have been able to focus by adjusting my line of sight through the viewfinder at those f stops but it is very difficult (with strong lighting). In low light situations it would be virtually impossible. The best way is to stop down to focus then adjust f stop!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for clearing that up.