Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus-issues with the 40D...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Focus-issues with the 40D... Reply with quote

That's strange.
My 40D focusses perfectly with every AF lens I have, really on the spot.
My 350D also does.

My 40D does have a considerable frontfocus with wide open Nikkors and AF-confirm chipped adapters when shooting close range.
My 350D doesn't.

Question Question Question

Any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think about is that there is some communication problems between the 40D and the chip in the adapters.
Perhaps the adapters were made before the 40D was released, and perhaps they should be updated?
In any case, the 40D sohuld advantage you with liveview and a better viewfinder, so you should be able to live without the chipped adapters. I for instance never need the chipped adapters on the 5D, except when I work with very short wideangles (shorter than 28mm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this confirmation, Orio. I also thought so.
Actually, I have never been really fond of chipped adapters.
7 of the 10 I have work well at the 350D, the others produce ERR99 or ERR01 constantly. Those that work well are kind of nice and useful, but I cannot help to wonder what happens with the internal cam electronics.
I mean, can we be absolutely sure that they do not mess up the internal chips?

I have deiced to use only non-chipped adapters with my 40D and the well working chipped ones with my 350D (which is my second cam now anyway). Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mount the EE-S screen?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Did you mount the EE-S screen?

No, I only have the original screen. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend it, it's cheap and really works well, plus it's easy to mount and remove so if you are not happy with it you can replace the standard one and have spent only 30 Euros.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree. Metering also seems much improved. Tiny investment for the improved results .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Metering also seems much improved.

Yes, for me also.
It got rid of the "old EOS manual lenses overexposure syndrome".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 40D look about the same as the 400D
I don't rely on chipped adapters, to slow to use

to put the ee-s you need to go inside the camera
it is a job only for real men Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question on the 40D liveview (to those of you lucky owners..)

Is it possible to zoom in while in liveview mode?.
Is that the way to improve focusing?.

Thanks in advance,
Jes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is this link provided by Carsten. Live view is good (very) for macro and studio. I don't think it is usefull outdoors in the sun.
http://www.dphotoexpert.com/2007/09/21/live-view-versus-the-cheating-dslr-viewfinder/

@Poilu
Maybe the New screen is screwing up your All AF points focus you might want the old one back in Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes,
yes you have 5* and 10* zoom but not pixel level for which you need pc interface
liveview is a tripod weapon.
for handled it is not practical and only better with wide angle in low light
sometimes when I want perfect infinity, I focus with liveview then I shot with viewfinder

sunshine wrote:
Maybe the New screen is screwing up your All AF points focus

shut! this thread was a trap to track AF users but you and Larry make so many noise there that the AF users stay away now Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing