Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flowers wide open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Flowers wide open Reply with quote

Do you think this wide-open approach works?

#1 Nikkor-H 85/1.8 Ai´d with PK-13 extension. Actually, this is at f/2, not wide open.

#2 Helios-81N 50mm f/2 with PK-13.

#3 Helios-81N 50mm f/2 with PK-13.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open gives very smooth OOF, but severely limits the DOF. These have "dreamy" quality because of those two factors, and if that is what you are looking for, then it works fine

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works also fine for me, the dreamy effect together with the pastel colors are perfectly in harmony, well done and what a great lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrific, painting-like photographs...

#2 is striking !

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is lovely for me, better than others ( which are good however)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice rendering wide open !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Markku !
Great painting-like rendering ! Love especially 1 and 2 !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all three very much!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

I like the element of surprise in this kind of shots. The human eye doesn´t see the world this way, it focuses automatically, do we see everything sharp. And when you are very close to the subject, a small movement can change the background from shade to light.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like numbers 1 and 3 a fair amount. Number 2 has some shadowing around it that looks like a Photoshop artifact (though I know it's from the lens being wide-open at close range.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I like numbers 1 and 3 a fair amount. Number 2 has some shadowing around it that looks like a Photoshop artifact (though I know it's from the lens being wide-open at close range.)

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 3 gives me an optical illusion lol, is it convex or concave, weird Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all. Great captured.

For me much better than the complete flowers sharp.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
I like them all. Great captured.

For me much better than the complete flowers sharp.

Wink

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure works. I also like to photograph flowers this way. Your samples are very nice for me.
Two reflections:

1- with this style of photograph, framing is crucial. You generally don't want large areas of a flat colour in; also, partial
shapes of flowers other than the main subject have to be evaluated carefully (if they look good, if they are distracting, etc.)

2- background colour is also crucial. It needs to match the main subject well. You may want to consider the use of
selected cardboards for backgrounds if the ambient backgorund colours do not fit your image in an ideal way.