Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flek 2.4/35 v Mir-24M 2/35-Head to head -
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Flek 2.4/35 v Mir-24M 2/35-Head to head - Reply with quote

Well, we've discussed these two lenses a lot but never compared results, so here goes. This picture is of The Crescent at Buxton, originally built in 1780 as a hotel and town houses for the Duke of Devonshire, but used as offices for some time I think. It's empty at present and in desparate need of repairs, but there's recent good news that a hotel chain have bought it and are going to restore it and turn it back into a luxury hotel.

The reference picture was shot with the Mir:

Both lenses were set on infinity focus and all camera settings are constant. This is a very severe test I think!

100% centre crops:

I think there's actually very little to choose between the two from this test. The extra stop of the Mir is very usable at f2.0 although you can see some minor flaring. The slightly out of level shots of the Flek are my fault, having touched the tripod leg while changing lenses. The warmer colour rendition of the Mir is very noticeable.

100% corner crops:

Here is where the Flek shows its pedigree. At f2 the Mir is pretty poor at the corners, not forgetting this is a 1.6 crop camera. Sharpness becomes optimal at f8 but begins to fall off again at f16, whilst the Flek is much more constant, and it also has another stop to go (f22).

Close focussing is also an important factor for macro work, and I'll be posting a newspaper test soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I would say the MIR got it in the centre and the Flek in the corners...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you look closely at MIR's corner crops, you can see that there is a good half stop overexposure on it.
Avoid looking at the highlights (which flare naturally when overblown), concentrate only in the better exposed parts, you can see that the difference is not so huge.
Where MIR fails visibly is at f/11 - but it's so sudden and big, that I wonder if there is something else going on, like a slight movement of focus wheel, or even micromotion (look at the wheel). I'd like to see this part redone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be we see here an impact of field curvature? Because the left (farther) car on Mir's shots seems to me to be more in focus. So may be a field curvature of Flectogon is more aligned with the curvature of the object itself while Mir has less field curvature?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a Sony A7 the flek will probably be my go-to lens. But it would nice to see some full frame corners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
If I get a Sony A7 the flek will probably be my go-to lens. But it would nice to see some full frame corners.

Flek 35mm f2.4 @ f5.6 on a film camera (which is full frame)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flek 35/2.4 on full frame is not great for landscapes. Borders are weak and the lens is over hyped IMO...it does have a nice close focusing distance though and a lovely character. Just don't expect corner to corner sharpness, you're better off buying a C/Y Distagon 35/2.8 for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Flek 35/2.4 on full frame is not great for landscapes. Borders are weak and the lens is over hyped IMO...it does have a nice close focusing distance though and a lovely character. Just don't expect corner to corner sharpness, you're better off buying a C/Y Distagon 35/2.8 for that.

My flek works alright on a film camera in the distance and nearer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you stopped right down though? Like most lenses, I found it much better at say f/11.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Were you stopped right down though? Like most lenses, I found it much better at say f/11.

Yes it would be at least F5.6 as I see no point in taking sunny day scenery shots wide open Wink...maybe someone else has a shot of scenery on a dull misty day with a flek wide open.