Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flash for Sony Alpha A6000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Flash for Sony Alpha A6000 Reply with quote

I'm looking for a flashgun for my Sony A6000. Any recommendations?

I haven't owned or used an on camera flashgun since my Canon film days so am completely out of touch with what's available.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6000 has the standard ISO flash shoe, right? I mean, it doesn't have that awful proprietary one that Minolta came up with, right?

The way I see it, you have two choices:

1. You can buy a Sony flash that will work in all the auto modes with that camera and pay a lot for it, or

2. You can buy an old vintage flash, like a Vivitar 283 or 285, with a good thyristor circuit and allow the flash to control exposure, the way it was done in the pre-TTL days.

The way I see it, the only problem you may experience is if the camera sends a sync signal to the flash shoe (for some pre-flash BS), setting the flash off before the actual exposure occurs. Even then, it's not insurmountable. You can shoot in "S" or "M" mode and set the shutter speed to x-sync or slower.

I do quite a bit of flash exposures with flashes that are not directly compatible with my NEX 7. I shoot in "M" mode so I can control shutter speed. I'm also typically shooting with a manual focus lens. So I'll take a test shot and evaluate exposure, then adjust as necessary by either opening or closing down the aperture, or adjusting the output on the flash. (My flash supports this)

I find that, once I've dialed in a good exposure setting, it works very well. Plus, there's a considerable amount of exposure latitude anyway when shooting in raw mode -- as loing as I haven't overexposed, so if I haven't nailed it, I can always adjust the raw image to make up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael. I already own a Vivitar 285HV but wasn't sure whether it is safe to use with the A6000 re it's flash trigger voltage?

Edit: I've just checked my 285HV with a voltmeter and am getting a reading of 5.8 volts. Am I correct in thinking this is safe for me to use on the A6000?