Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing "unsharp on the left" Zenitar-16
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Fixing "unsharp on the left" Zenitar-16 Reply with quote

I had what I thought was a bad copy of Zenitar-16 in Canon EOS mount (native mount; it was sold this way). I bought it brand new. From day one, it was fuzzy on the left side. Today, I decided to try and fix it.

First, I thought there was a problem with de-centering. However, this was not the case. The problem was that damn aftermarket EOS mount the seller screwed on the lens in a garage! Long story short, I had to put a washer of about 0.7mm between the lens itself and the right side of the mount. This made the field flat, and finally I got a lens that is extremely sharp across the frame. Hell, it's even sharp in the corners by f/8 - a property I have yet to see in any other wide-angle, famos Nikkors included! (Of course, I understand that making a sharp uncorrected lens is easier than producing a sharp rectlinear WA).