Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing the Praktica VLC3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Fixing the Praktica VLC3 Reply with quote

Attila was so kind of sending me this body as a Chistmas present (Thanks a lot Attila).
The only M42 film bodies I got before were the Zenit 122, (that is immaculate but need resealing, not what I would say a "precision" machine) and the Chinon CX that I'm still trying to fix because the sprocket problem.
The Praktica came in a excellent overall status but for small, minor/cosmetic problems (normal in a body of that age, I would say that it's extremely well conserved). I wanted to fix them before trying it. I was not in a hurry because I was waiting for the Pancolar electric 1.8 50mm that should match this body.
But after the arrival of the Pancolar, I had to bypass the queue priority and start working on the Praktica.

The problems it had were three:

1. The "flaps" on the skin cover. The adhesive lost its adherence and were flying:

Fixed with a nice contact adhesive that dries in 5':

This adhesive is very easy to use, just apply on one side a thin layer, press it for a while and open again, let dry and finally apply some pressure.

2. The always-a-problem battery replacement. Attila was so kind of providing even a battery for it, but checking the camera meter I saw the meter needle in the wrong place. I measured the battery voltage and found that the voltage was a little low.
So, with the previous experience of the battery adapter for the Yashica, I built a new battery adapter that can use standard batteries.

(I would provide more details later on, I've to bring my son to his basket ball celebration)

3. The damper of the mirror has the foam degraded, the consequence is that after each shot, some foam debris fall into the mirror... Just a nuisance, but I want to fix it before trying the camera with film. (This is a work in progress). I see no much problem, it seems that taking out a couple of screws I'll be able to get to the damper...

That's all by now.
Again thanks a lot to Attila!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome! I am glad this cam landed in right hands!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Your very welcome! I am glad this cam landed in right hands!

Thanks Attila, vey kind of you Smile
I've spent this afternoon fixing the damper on the VLC3. As I suspected, losening the two screws allows removing the small metal shim that protects the damper. The status of the damper was as expected:

Removing the old damper is not easy. The damper is too close to the focusing screen and to the mirror to use any solvent to loose it, so it has to be removed just by mechanical action. I used the tiny tweezers and a small cutter.
After some time, I got an almost neat base where to put the new one:

And that's how the new one looks:

Once replaced the shim, the work is almost done. Just some blow-in with the rubber pear to clean up the inside, and voil?!.

Now is time to put a roll in and try the Pentacon, but unfortunately it's too dark now. So I'll have to wait till (probably) next week-end...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great tutorial Jes, one day I have to try a rangefinder
I see you continue to trust your Caplio who make indeed nice photos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
great tutorial Jes, one day I have to try a rangefinder
I see you continue to trust your Caplio who make indeed nice photos

Thanks Poilu.
Yes, the Caplio is so small, the battery lasts so long and it sits so nicely on the small tripod that it's unbeatable to shot the step by step procedures. I wear it always with me, and now it has a nice companion: the Minox 35ML.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great job!

Thanks, Attila, you owe most of the merit Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final success!

I dared, and I slightly forced the tab that was fixing the focusing screen. It was not so difficult, so after some blowing the prism base and the focusing screen are now immaculate Smile

Now, time to put a roll in...

Jes.