Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fisheye used by Arnaud de Rosnay in the sixties?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Fisheye used by Arnaud de Rosnay in the sixties? Reply with quote

Just saw som fashion photos by Arnaud de Rosnay from 1969, and noticed the unusual (for the time) wide angle. Any idea which fisheye lens or filter could have been used here? I think he used Nikon and Leica, but didn't find any non-circular fisheye lenses available before the 1970s?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon had a fisheye as early as 1962.... the 8mm/8.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the 8mm f8 was not full frame:

Though maybe you are right, and this is just a crop from the full frame.

Actually, that makes sense, as there seems to be little distortion in the bottom of the images, which would then be the centre of the image.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax had Takumar full-frame fisheye lenses since 1962:
http://www.dyxum.com/columns/articles/lenses/takumar-17f4/takumar_17mmf4_fisheye_review.asp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the suggestion, I never thought of Pentax. Though as mentioned, I feel the distortion (heavy at the top, little at the bottom) points to a cropped image from a circular 8mm Nikon fisheye. He seems to have been a Nikon user, at least later on - life as a photographer can be hard:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt there a Hasselblad 30mm full frame fisheye?
Could that be it?

I suspect it was MF format that would be used for a 2-page magazine spread in the 1960s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandere wrote:
... life as a photographer can be hard:

The life of a photographer can be hard, depending on the type of animal he photographs... Laughing

https://photolicioux.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/38412-ilyke-net-large-image9.jpeg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/08/article-2350516-1A8CE8FF000005DC-157_634x555.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used a reflector on the bear? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandere wrote:

Actually, that makes sense, as there seems to be little distortion in the bottom of the images, which would then be the centre of the image.

Nikon 35mm film lenses HAD to be full frame. There was no such thing as DX-format cameras in the 60s and 70s.

And that's not a crop. That's a circular fisheye.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have used the Russian 35mm for 6x6, maybe he mounted it on a hasselblad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gerald"][quote="vandere"]... life as a photographer can be hard:

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandere wrote:
life as a photographer can be hard:

Laughing

For those who have seen the movie Dikkenek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

480sparky wrote:
vandere wrote:

Nikon 35mm film lenses HAD to be full frame. There was no such thing as DX-format cameras in the 60s and 70s.

Using part of a circular fisheye IS a crop. DX is irrelevant cropping images has been carried out for many years before digital sensors were in use.
With fish eye lenses they were described as circular or full frame (going to the corners) before the term full frame was used for sensors. In the language of the time if a lens was a circular fisheye it was automatically NOT full frame as it wouldn't cover the corners.

In addition 'Full frame' would also be a suitable description of the full 35mm negative on which a circular image has been recorded. (as Vandere used it in this thread)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
480sparky wrote:
vandere wrote:

Using part of a circular fisheye IS a crop. DX is irrelevant cropping images has been carried out for many years before digital sensors were in use.
With fish eye lenses they were described as circular or full frame (going to the corners) before the term full frame was used for sensors. In the language of the time if a lens was a circular fisheye it was automatically NOT full frame as it wouldn't cover the corners.

In addition 'Full frame' would also be a suitable description of the full 35mm negative on which a circular image has been recorded. (as Vandere used it in this thread)

I was stating that the IMAGE was not cropped to be circular.... it was taken with a circular fisheye (180° across the short dimension on the sensor).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70's-early 80's I was smitten with La Reve.
But I hung out with a bunch of news photogs and decided that it really was just a job. A fun job, but the pay was terrible.