Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: First test shots Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2 Reply with quote

The Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2 is a sort of a mystery. Opinions on its performance vary widely. Bjorn Rorslett says it sucks. Ken Rockwell and Ken AKA The Angry Photographer say it is great. Among amateurs you find the same devidedness. People complain about low resolution, low contrast, dim colors etc. I did a first test in my kitchen, all pictures handheld with a flash bouncing off the ceiling.

Wide open:

At first glance this doesn't look bad to me. Quite a bit of contrast and quite vivid colors.
Lets look at a 100% crop, wide open:

Okay, there is a bit of glow visible from this high contrast subject, but not much. In a portrait this would be even less evident. Resolution seems really good to me. Keep in mind this is a 42mp+ sensor (Sony A7RII).

Lets see how it performs @ f/2.8:

Looks good to me. The picture improved when stopped down a little. Good contrast, saturated colors. The bouncing flashlight isn't the prettiest, but that's not the lens.

Let's take a look at the 100% crop, @ f/2.8:

Looks like pixel filling sharpness @f/2.8 on a 42+ mp sensor to me. So I guess the mystery remains? Are there a lot of bad copies around? It could be. But for me the 85mm f/2 ai is a keeper: solid optical performance, great build quality and very compact size make it a winner for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me caspert79

I would love to see some portraits with it as 85mm is a good choice for headshots and portrait.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
Looks good to me caspert79

I would love to see some portraits with it as 85mm is a good choice for headshots and portrait.

Cheers

Once I find the time I will do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found a minute to make a snapshot of my youngest son.

Wide open, no post processing:

100% crop:

Good enough for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!!

Nice. Good contrast for portraits, sharp, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complaints seem to center around a "greyness" to the images. I've seen this sometimes. In the shots I've taken it seems like there's usually some desaturation in the out-of-focus areas. Other shots with this lens seem unpleasantly grey overall, but I've taken many that don't seem that way and have excellent saturation.

It's a bit of a mystery. I've been casually thinking about it and testing it for about a year and a half, and I don't have an answer.

I can say for certain that it's extremely compact and light for an 85, and it's extremely sharp as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

Wondering if positive review results use AI version with 255° focus throw and negative reviews use AI-S version with 175° focus throw, or vice versa? Both with 5/5 optics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Like 1 Like 1

Wondering if positive review results use AI version with 255° focus throw and negative reviews use AI-S version with 175° focus throw, or vice versa? Both with 5/5 optics.

You think it has to do with focusing issues? It could also be that some of these lenses got issues over time. It would be interesting to know if complaints come mostly from ai-s users. I usually try to find the ai version of Nikkors, because the build quality tends to be a bit tougher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Like 1 Like 1

You think it has to do with focusing issues? It could also be that some of these lenses got issues over time. It would be interesting to know if complaints come mostly from ai-s users. I usually try to find the ai version of Nikkors, because the build quality tends to be a bit tougher.

Also possible is different optics calculations of 5/5 for each lens.

Thanks for tip about AI/AI-S build quality!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

100% crop:

Good enough for me!

KEO wrote:
The complaints seem to center around a "greyness" to the images. I've seen this sometimes.
It's a bit of a mystery.
I can say for certain that it's ... extremely sharp as well.

The Ai/AiS 2/85mm is one of the few "common" 85mm lenses I've never been able to test personally. I know the varying opinions, and your image may well explain them: The 100% looks very soft, but with lots of detail - not unlike the Minolta 2.8/85mm Soft Focus used with very little "softening". Stopping down probably eliminates the softness. These properties would be ideal for a portrait lens (especially considering that "Soft focus lenses" were en vogue aroud 1980, and that Nikon didn't have a real soft focus lens back then), but not always welcome for other subjects.

Looking at this image and its 100% crop it is obvious that e. g. the Minolta MD 2/85mm would behave quite differently: The MD 2/85mm has a high contrast even at f2, and it is an ideal landscape lens. For portraits, Minolta had the MD 2.8/85mm SoftFocus.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

100% crop:

Good enough for me!

KEO wrote:
The complaints seem to center around a "greyness" to the images. I've seen this sometimes.
It's a bit of a mystery.
I can say for certain that it's ... extremely sharp as well.

The Ai/AiS 2/85mm is one of the few "common" 85mm lenses I've never been able to test personally. I know the varying opinions, and your image may well explain them: The 100% looks very soft, but with lots of detail - not unlike the Minolta 2.8/85mm Soft Focus used with very little "softening". Stopping down probably eliminates the softness. These properties would be ideal for a portrait lens (especially considering that "Soft focus lenses" were en vogue aroud 1980, and that Nikon didn't have a real soft focus lens back then), but not always welcome for other subjects.

Looking at this image and its 100% crop it is obvious that e. g. the Minolta MD 2/85mm would behave quite differently: The MD 2/85mm has a high contrast even at f2, and it is an ideal landscape lens. For portraits, Minolta had the MD 2.8/85mm SoftFocus.

S

Sounds plausible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing the sample photos. I got one but never got a chance to test it. Yes, there are inconsistant opinons on the internet regarding this lens. Someday I'll need to compare it with Nikon 85mm/1.8 lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mystery to us that worked in camera shops when this lens was new.

Nikkor 85/2 Ais, wide-open on the Nikon Df.

At F2.8,

This lens was a favorite Portrait lens for photographers when new. It had a reputation for being softer than the Planar Formula Nikkor 105/2.5, which some complained was too sharp for portraits. The 85/2, 105/2.5, 135/2.8, and 200/4 Planar formula lenses are all good.

I also have the last version Nikkor 85/1.8 factory Ai converted. About the size of the 55/1.2, Bokeh is more harsh. Great lens- but my opinion, the 85/2 is better for portraits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been my tool for many years when I was a young pro, but I have to say that I never really loved it (on film of course). I always felt like something was missing on the picture, while other Nikkors proved to be plenty satisfaying.

Then I moved to Leica, and well, their 90 mm are all another world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
No mystery to us that worked in camera shops when this lens was new.

Nikkor 85/2 Ais, wide-open on the Nikon Df.

At F2.8,

This lens was a favorite Portrait lens for photographers when new. It had a reputation for being softer than the Planar Formula Nikkor 105/2.5, which some complained was too sharp for portraits. The 85/2, 105/2.5, 135/2.8, and 200/4 Planar formula lenses are all good.

I also have the last version Nikkor 85/1.8 factory Ai converted. About the size of the 55/1.2, Bokeh is more harsh. Great lens- but my opinion, the 85/2 is better for portraits.

Nice shots, I like the bokeh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my copy is AiS. Condition is not a factor: it's like brand new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped down to f/2.8:

Check full size image here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55691955@N05/50821501552/in/album-72157717825390242/

I'm very pleased with this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples look perfect for portrait work. I feel sad to sold it without really give it proper try.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First test shots Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2 is a sort of a mystery. Opinions on its performance vary widely. Bjorn Rorslett says it sucks. Ken Rockwell and Ken AKA The Angry Photographer say it is great. Among amateurs you find the same devidedness. People complain about low resolution, low contrast, dim colors etc. I did a first test in my kitchen, all pictures handheld with a flash bouncing off the ceiling.

Wide open:

At first glance this doesn't look bad to me. Quite a bit of contrast and quite vivid colors.

Okay, there is a bit of glow visible from this high contrast subject, but not much. In a portrait this would be even less evident. Resolution seems really good to me. Keep in mind this is a 42mp+ sensor (Sony A7RII).

Looks good to me. The picture improved when stopped down a little. Good contrast, saturated colors. The bouncing flashlight isn't the prettiest, but that's not the lens.

Looks like pixel filling sharpness @f/2.8 on a 42+ mp sensor to me. So I guess the mystery remains? Are there a lot of bad copies around? It could be. But for me the 85mm f/2 ai is a keeper: solid optical performance, great build quality and very compact size make it a winner for me.

Pics have disappeared -- lost server permissions...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First test shots Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2 Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Wide open:

Pics have disappeared -- lost server permissions...

Yes, something is wrong with fotothing.com the moment. The last picture refers to my Flickr account.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor seems to be quite suitable for landscape photography as well.

For full resolution, follow links and click twice on picture:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55691955@N05/50878316467/in/album-72157718049519912/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55691955@N05/50877502133/in/album-72157718049519912/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55691955@N05/50878210306/in/album-72157718049519912/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey folks when you click quote, it really only takes a second to highlight and delete the img bbcode and avoid all the superfluously duplicated pics.. just a suggestion Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caspert79, the image of your youngest son is lovely, and shows what your lens is capable of. I owned an 85mm f2 for a short while but never found a big reason to reach for it rather than my f1.8 or a 105mm. It seemed like a fine lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
hey folks when you click quote, it really only takes a second to highlight and delete the img bbcode and avoid all the superfluously duplicated pics.. just a suggestion Smile

+9999999999!!!!!

Makes for difficult reading...