Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first takes Komura LTM 3.5/105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: first takes Komura LTM 3.5/105 Reply with quote

the first trial shot taken with a rather old Komura LTM 3.5/105 on Ricoh GXR M ( had shown the lens two days ago in the equipment gallery: http://forum.mflenses.com/komura-ltm-3-5-105-and-2-8-135-t68917.html )
this lens looses a lot of contrast when shot against light, it requires a hood! Well, I didn't use any, I never do, but I am used to and again used my left hand for the same purpose.

stopped down to about f8 at infinity, sharpened after resize

100% crop of jpeg out of cam, no sharpening, no pping:

jpeg out of cam, sharpened after resize:

100% crop of jpeg out of cam, no sharpening, no pping:

jpeg out of cam, sharpened after resize:

after quite aggressive pping including downing clarity ( to emphasize the dreamy effect this lens lends to )

one more after pping

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the soft and dreamy flower shots. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very low contrast as expected, but nice and dreamy indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have a nice soft quality.

I have a 135/3.5 Komura that was branded under Soligar that looks very very similar to yours in style. There was a dramatic difference in IQ when I used a hood. You might want to give it a try to expand the versatility of this lovely lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys for looking and commenting!

JTB I did use my left hand to 'make' a lens hood, I'd think with even better effect than any actual lens hood could give. Using the mirrorless cam, that is live view, I could exactly see how very much this lens needs that and that simulating a lens hood had a big impact. ( I am using a rel. small waist bag for carrying my camera and lenses, my arms free and never pain in the shoulder after a full day carrying my gear Smile - that is I love my gear to be light and small and to fit into a small bag, therefore I hardly ever use a lens hood but simulate one with my left hand whenever I deem, and in live view see, that it's necessary )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that a lot too, use the hand as a hood Wink

The lens seems to give decent results IMO Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Me too.

It is lacking contrast more than I would have expected, but the effect is beautiful in these type pictures. It is definitely an earlier Komura and probably very well built. I have the 2.5/105 and like it very much... as well the 2.8/135.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Me too.

It is lacking contrast more than I would have expected, but the effect is beautiful in these type pictures. It is definitely an earlier Komura and probably very well built. I have the 2.5/105 and like it very much... as well the 2.8/135.

Clearly, you gentlemen have steadier hands than I do. My compliments! At my present level of experience, I need to keep both hands on the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's Lars and Woodrim. Had bought some rigid metal lens hoods before, have a few original ones, but if I used any, which has been very rarely, then it has been the cheapest type, a plastic, collapsible one.

JJB wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Me too.

Clearly, you gentlemen have steadier hands than I do. My compliments! At my present level of experience, I need to keep both hands on the camera.

having to take the left hand off the camera to put it to the front of the lens, which also stabilizes but most likely less so, is a disadvantage. But whenever a hood is required more often than not there is enough sunlight to enable a fast shutter speed, as was the case yesterday, and additional stability hardly was required.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

second time used this lens, this time on Ricoh GXR M in Saigon

pics taken with another version of this lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=34326&highlight=&sid=e285b09fbc29c234e85968d8472398c0