Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First shots with the Voigtlander Vitoret
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: First shots with the Voigtlander Vitoret Reply with quote

Do you remember the thread where I bought a Voigtlander Vitoret by 1€ because the shutter was stuck?. At that time I was able of fixing it, but I didn't shot any picture with that camera. (http://forum.mflenses.com/fixing-a-voigtlaender-vitoret-d-t5170.html).

So it has been time of rolling my first one, and here you have the results...

The roll is a cheap 200 ISO Schlecker, 12 shots (0,98€). Scanning is the cheap one ("standard", the "pro" is more expensive).

The Lanthar lens is considered not very good. Voigtlander camera fans always look for models sporting a Skopar lens.
But I've found this Lanthar very nice. No vignetting (as in the Chinon 35EE), reasonable colour rendering. Not as bad as I was expecting... (One of the reasons for delaying the test).
Since the meter doesn't work, I've shot all the pictures based on the F16/Sunny rule. Since it has no rangefinder, also estimated the distance...

#1 Sharpness and blue rendering much better than expected.

#2 Nice sea greens.

#3 Lens distortion is reasonable also.

#4 A "close focus" test. The closest distance is around one meter...

#5 Flare only with direct sunlight on the lens:

(the full roll can be seen at the gallery: http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/jesito/rangefinders/voigtvitoret/ )

Jes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Very nice samples!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice colors, superb results Jes!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, very nice results, Jes!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, Poilu and Bill!

Anyway the shutter is quite hard to press, so I'm afraid the Vitoret saga doesn't end here Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus point seems slightly too close on all pictures - probably the scale is slightly off and you can't reach infinity. But that is easily adjustable, and then the results should be even better.

Lanthar was the Voigtländer name for all lenses containing rare earth elements - from cheap lenses to the very expensive Apo Lanthar. The Color Lanthar on the Vitoret is one of the former, a budget lens with special glass. As a triplet, it is not fully corrected for coma when fully open, but its three glass construction gives it color correction way beyond the average Cooke triplet, and stopped down it is at least up to the Tessar-type Skopar.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The focus point seems slightly too close on all pictures - probably the scale is slightly off and you can't reach infinity. But that is easily adjustable, and then the results should be even better.

Lanthar was the Voigtländer name for all lenses containing rare earth elements - from cheap lenses to the very expensive Apo Lanthar. The Color Lanthar on the Vitoret is one of the former, a budget lens with special glass. As a triplet, it is not fully corrected for coma when fully open, but its three glass construction gives it color correction way beyond the average Cooke triplet, and stopped down it is at least up to the Tessar-type Skopar.

Sevo

Thanks, Sevo for your comments and the interesting information.
I've yet to figure out how to adjust that Smile
Although I've been able of fixing some cameras, I've tried a very few times to fix optics, (I feel is beyond my capabilities).
Besides this, I've been unable to find any service manual for the Voigtlanders neither for the Lanthars, so everything is trial-and-error...
Hopefully, I've got a Vitoret D plenty of fungus, so I won't feel too bad if I make some mistake Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't ever taken a Lanthar Vitoret apart, but other lenses on the Vitoret are front-focusing, and the Lanthar on folders is front-focusing as well, so it would be very surprising if it weren't the same.

If so, you will simply have to remove the focus ring (fixed with a couple of tiny grub screws - loosen them, but don't remove them, or you'll have a hard time putting them in again), focus the front element on some far object (with a bit of ground glass or transparent foil - like a slide sleeve - on the film plane) and replace and fix the focus ring at its infinity setting.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this camera, the results seem quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Haven't ever taken a Lanthar Vitoret apart, but other lenses on the Vitoret are front-focusing, and the Lanthar on folders is front-focusing as well, so it would be very surprising if it weren't the same.

If so, you will simply have to remove the focus ring (fixed with a couple of tiny grub screws - loosen them, but don't remove them, or you'll have a hard time putting them in again), focus the front element on some far object (with a bit of ground glass or transparent foil - like a slide sleeve - on the film plane) and replace and fix the focus ring at its infinity setting.

Sevo

Thanks Sevo!. I'll try it Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't know this camera, the results seem quite good.

Hi Orio,
Much better than expected... Used to the Reflex quality, the small film compacts or rangefinders seemed to me low profile. But it seem not to be so..

I've to compare Voigtlanders to Konica C35...
There may be some surprises.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Anyway the shutter is quite hard to press, so I'm afraid the Vitoret saga doesn't end here Smile

I suspect a thread titled 'Disassembly of the Vitoret' quickly followed by 'Assembly of the Vitoret'

Nice samples Jes, its amazing what the little cameras can do!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look very promising for a first roll Jes.
I bet your going to like this cam as things progress.
It has a really cool name also "Vitoret" I like to say it like with a very nasal french ascent. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Jesito wrote:

I suspect a thread titled 'Disassembly of the Vitoret' quickly followed by 'Assembly of the Vitoret'

Nice samples Jes, its amazing what the little cameras can do!

Right, Mike!. Just the second round... Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
These look very promising for a first roll Jes.
I bet your going to like this cam as things progress.
It has a really cool name also "Vitoret" I like to say it like with a very nasal french ascent. Cool

Thanks, Andy! It has been unvaluable the use of the F16Sunshine rule Smile (because the faulty lightmeter).
It has a big family... I've been collecting Vitorets and Vitos for some time, now they have to go into real production...
Specially the Vitoret DR and LR that sport a better Prontor shutter and a Rangefinder.
More to come.

Jes.