Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First roll with Start - Helios 44 - Ektar 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: First roll with Start - Helios 44 - Ektar 100 Reply with quote

I'll be sure to update this thread with more than just some "helios swirl" but these were just a few from my recently acquired Soviet Start. The Helios' on the Starts have 13 blades. Mine has the red "P."

I somewhat like the darker appeal of this one. Right before sunset with splashes of light.

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics and cute dog!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First roll with Start - Helios 44 - Ektar 100 Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I'll be sure to update this thread with more than just some "helios swirl" but these were just a few from my recently acquired Soviet Start. The Helios' on the Starts have 13 blades. Mine has the red "P."

Nice pictures. Cool

What is the significance of the red 'P'?

Also, for what it is worth, not all of the Start Helios 44's have 13-blade apertures. I have one with 8. Wink

Aside from the lens, what do you think of the Start as a camera?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the significance of the red 'P'?

It was simply a symbol used to denote that the lens was coated. Its use dissipated in the early 60s because coatings were standard and expected so it seemed redundant to use it. These early lenses, however, do have a significantly different type of coating. I've not been able to confirm why it was changed.

Quote:
Also, for what it is worth, not all of the Start Helios 44's have 13-blade apertures. I have one with 8.

That's interesting! I guess production of the Start did span into the years when KMZ made the transition to 8 blades in the Helios. So it makes sense.

Quote:
Aside from the lens, what do you think of the Start as a camera?

I do really like it. Amazingly robust feeling. The viewfinder is like night and day when compared to a Zenit. The split-screen is hard for moving subjects though. Taking pictures of the puppy was difficult to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you describe the coating on your P lens?

I have one with the 13-bladed aperture, and it is distinctly coated - the glass has a strong blue/purple color when viewed from an angle or looking at reflections.

My lens with the 8-bladed aperture however looks completely clear when viewed at an angle. At first I thought it was un-coated, but when you look at the reflections in the glass, each reflection has a different color. The first reflection is white, the second is yellow/orange, and the third is purple. So I think it must be coated as well, just with a different type of coating.

Neither of mine have any markings to indicate a coating...