Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first pics lens turbo + 2.5/20mm, 2.8/24 and 1.4/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: first pics lens turbo + 2.5/20mm, 2.8/24 and 1.4/50 Reply with quote

since a few days I have a Zhongyi lens turbo for my NEX5N.
So far I have taken a few pics with a Mir 47 K f2.5/20mm, a Pentax K f2.8/24mm and Pentax M f1.4/50mm

with the Mir:

Pentax K f2.8/24mm ( yep, it's a f2.8/24mm. not f3.5/24 as I had erroneously written in the title )

Pentax M f1.4/50mm

see original sizes here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157634535992580/with/9306086999/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me looks works fine , congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree. how do you feel about its performance? do you note any degrading of IQ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
To me looks works fine , congrats!

yes it works alright, thanks Attila Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mir and Pentax 50mm shots look great! The b&w series looks hazy, maybe because I'm on a mobile device?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i agree. how do you feel about its performance? do you note any degrading of IQ?

Tony I have only used it twice yet, once with Pentax K2.8/24 and M 1.4/50 in the poolhall, just a few takes, and today with the Mir47K and the M 1.4/50 during an afternoon stroll.

The second shown in the poolhall has some strange distortion, an irregularity that I believe mostly is caused by the lens turbo. The pic of my friend I was playing pool with, taken with the 1.4/50 gave me hope though, and the focal reducer must have provided, if I understand this right, a gain in speed!! - which, of course, simply is marvelous Very Happy

Today I was very, very happy to see how well it works for portraits with the 1.4/50!!
- even with the 20mm, for portraits the lens turbo should do well, hopefully with pretty much any focal length

Curious how the Mir with the lens turbo would compare I also carried my GXR M with f4.5/15 Heliar, both shot @f8, neither sharpened nor treated for CA

4.5/15 Heliar on GXR M

Mir47K + lens turbo on NEX5N

near center 100% crops
4.5/15 Heliar on GXR M

near corner 100% crops
4.5/15 Heliar on GXR M

yes, the corner is quite bad, the lens turbo won't be the tool if corner sharpness is required.
the far corner 100% crop of the other pic with the kids at the playground looks better

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
The Mir and Pentax 50mm shots look great! The b&w series looks hazy, maybe because I'm on a mobile device?

thank's Hari, I was surprised how well they turned out!
and I think that you are right about the haziness, I believe it well may have been caused by the lens turbo not handling direct lights very well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice representation Andreas.
I bought for myself lens turbo few days ago. I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cinematic these two!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: new lens tested: Super Takumar f1.9/85mm Reply with quote

thank's Suat and Pancolart!

Suat your samples look very good!
Pancolart Saigon has this 'vintage flare' of the 60s, and the "Paris theme" wallpaper may add to that cinematic look too

new lens added: today I tried out a Super Takumar f1.9/85mm ( stacked via M42>K adapter on the PK lens turbo )

I tried to do 'real' shots rather than just test shots, today's however really are just test pics. ( again the pic with the 100% crop has no sharpening, no editing to treat CA. The total pic however has been sharpened after resize = that also is true for the full frame pics in my original post )

the corner of the wide open shot:

100% corner crop @f8

observation: corners look much better than with the Mir, looks like the lens was more responsible for those than the lens turbo

wide open ( sharpened after size reduce )

100% crop ( like all 100% crop no sharpening )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. How heavy is the Lens turbo + Nex + 50/85mm combination? 50mm lenses are perfect for the NEX because of their size, but I found that longer lenses are not really good for hand holding due to the added weight. What is your experience?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Nice results. How heavy is the Lens turbo + Nex + 50/85mm combination? 50mm lenses are perfect for the NEX because of their size, but I found that longer lenses are not really good for hand holding due to the added weight. What is your experience?

hm..what should I say..first because I hardly have experience with the lens turbo yet and secondly because this must be very personal:

On one side I never have had problems with the weight or length of any lens on my NEX. This must be partly because I hardly ever have used lenses longer than normal lenses, and if it was e.g. a small and tiny 3.5/100 Pen-F lens, and partly because if I ever did use a bigger and longer lens I let the lens and camera rest on the palm of my left hand. Doing so I never felt that a 85mm or 135mm Takumar to feel more awkward on my NEX than on my ( should add: rel. small and light ) dSLR.

On the other side for me a NEX decidedly best is used with rangefinder ( or halfframe, e.g. Pen-F lenses ), that is lenses that only require a small adapter, usually are also smaller themselves and make for a small, light and well balanced package.

That said the lens turbo is much heavier than I had expected and does add weight that can be felt! It is shorter than a ,normal' adapter though making the whole package more compact and that I like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Shocked

Time to get myself a 'lens turbo'...
Would you recommend a seller/site to get these? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoan when I bought mine the cheapest 'buy now' had been 189 usd free shipping and seller Lengrin was the only one that had accepted 'best offer'. However the one shown by Lengrin, unlike those offered by other sellers, had not "Zhongyi" written on it's body. I was wondering if there already was another producer, asked the seller if it was a Zhongyi and offered 170 usd. Reply was that yes, it is a Zhongyi, the 170 usd were accepted, the lens turbo that arrived has Zhonyi written on it.
So it was a bit of a gamble and I see that by now cheapest offers are 161 or best offer + free shipping, offer of 150 usd should do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Mark wrote:

hm..what should I say..first because I hardly have experience with the lens turbo yet and secondly because this must be very personal:

On one side I never have had problems with the weight or length of any lens on my NEX. This must be partly because I hardly ever have used lenses longer than normal lenses, and if it was e.g. a small and tiny 3.5/100 Pen-F lens, and partly because if I ever did use a bigger and longer lens I let the lens and camera rest on the palm of my left hand. Doing so I never felt that a 85mm or 135mm Takumar to feel more awkward on my NEX than on my ( should add: rel. small and light ) dSLR.

On the other side for me a NEX decidedly best is used with rangefinder ( or halfframe, e.g. Pen-F lenses ), that is lenses that only require a small adapter, usually are also smaller themselves and make for a small, light and well balanced package.

That said the lens turbo is much heavier than I had expected and does add weight that can be felt! It is shorter than a ,normal' adapter though making the whole package more compact and that I like.

Thanks for the answer! NEX is "nose heavy" with most SLR lenses anyway, must be better with RF glass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
observation: corners look much better than with the Mir, looks like the lens was more responsible for those than the lens turbo

I agree with this. I tried other lenses too on it. best so far is My CZ vario sonnar 80-200/4 T* on lens turbo, corners is much better than my Schneider Curtagon 35/2,8 wihich looks like real crap with this adapter. (Curtagon is best for APSC)
So, my opinion, If the lens great at Fullframe, then it will be great at lens turbo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
So, my opinion, If the lens great at Fullframe, then it will be great at lens turbo.

that's for sure, some of the disappointment of corner performance of focal reducers certainly must be due to some users knowing their lenses on APS-C only.

just took pics of the combinations used, here they are:
( taken with Macro Takumar 4/50 on Ricoh GXR M )

Mir47K 2.5/20 + lens turbo on NEX5N

Pentax K 2.8/24 + lens turbo on NEX5N

Pentax M 1.4/50 + lens turbo on NEX5N

Super Takumar 1.9/85 + M42>PK + PK lens turbo on NEX5N

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the results are no too bad. I ordered one yesterday. I've saved up for it and now I order it the price had been reduced by about 22%. Now less than £99 inc postage.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good on you! prices continue to drop and it really is a very neat tool!

one more taken today wide open with the Super Takumar f1.9/85

see original size here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/9435822076/in/photostream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance seems very good on the Takumar f1.9/85.

I have checked many photo taken by different lenses on the lens turbo. Itt works best for flat-field lenses like enlargers/macros or some telephoto lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Performance seems very good on the Takumar f1.9/85.

I have checked many photo taken by different lenses on the lens turbo. Itt works best for flat-field lenses like enlargers/macros or some telephoto lenses.

interesting Calvin!
could you please be so kind and explain to me what is meant by 'flat field lenses'?

from the little experience with the lens turbo I'd say best benefits are:
- gives extra speed, great for low light
- approximates angles and dof the lenses have on FF, this adds new possibilities specially with normal and wide lenses, offering more shallow dof resp. subject separation at wider angels when corner sharpness is not required.

biggest downsides:
- corner performance, it's not useful for landscape and architecture, though I read that some lenses stopped down enough may do fine.
- it adds it's own 'signature', 'changing' or 'diluting' the lens's characteristic.

a focal reducer sure is a teaser to get the real thing, a FF

btw. I should mention that the last photo I showed in this thread had not been taken by me, but by a befriended photographer while playing with my camera / lens

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since last friday I also have a PK lens turbo and I enjoy using it very much.

- Kuuan, I can confirm everything you said about it.

So far my favorite lens on the lens turbo is my Leitz Summicron - R 2/90, this massive pile of glas delivers wonderful portrait images.
Without having done serious testing I suggest that not all lenses perform equal well on the lens turbo.

Kuuan, can you tell us something about the performance the Pentax M 1,4/50 delivers on the lens turbo?
Unfortunately I was not able to mount my favorite 35mm lenses, the Flektogon 2,4/35 and the Primagon 4,5/35 because my M42-PK adapter does not fit into the lens turbo.
Has someone already tried the pentax 3,5/35 on the lens turbo?

Timo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very good. Center sharpness seems to be very nice. The most important part , especially with a speed booster.
Thx for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
good on you! prices continue to drop and it really is a very neat tool!

one more taken today wide open with the Super Takumar f1.9/85

see original size here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/9435822076/in/photostream

I've seen that guy on an other pic at a pool table. Also shot with the tak 85/1.9. Smile