Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First lens to challenge 2.4/35mm Flektogon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:

Axial CA correction is different and I am not sure there are any tools available for limiting it's damages - DXO might have something in their raw-converter. I know that there is a paper in the net describing a method for limited correction, but AFAIK there are no public implementations of it available.

Do you have a link to this paper or the title + authors? Would be interesting reading.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: First lens to challenge 2.4/35mm Flektogon Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I've tested many (though not in heavy price league) wide angle 28mm-35mm lenses but have never found any that would post a serious threat to Zeiss Flektogon 2.4/35mm for short distance near macro usage and possibly low light wide-open.

Then you obviously have'nt tried the Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T*! Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon's ViewNX (and possibly CaptureNX) have facilities for axial aka longitudinal CA correction - and it works pretty well!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First lens to challenge 2.4/35mm Flektogon Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Then you obviously have'nt tried the Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T*! Wink

This one? I have tried again and again – nice lens indeed.
But I'd prefer Flektogon again and again.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried Distagon, but wonder if the key to Pancolart's statement is "short distance near macro usage". This is where I find my Flek to be a superior performer. At distance, the field levels out.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this Distagon 28/2.8 compare to the (old) 28/2.0?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-24M at its MFD - 29-30 cm
@f2

@f8

Default LR conversion with only exposure adjustments and resize without sharpening

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Mir-24M at its MFD - 29-30 cm
@f2

@f8

Default LR conversion with only exposure adjustments and resize without sharpening

erm that's not very good compared to a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and others which are sharper:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/hex40.jpg

the above shot is a blow up from an original shot like this one for Pentax:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/pentax135mmf3-5.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

erm that's not very good compared to a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and others which are sharper:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/hex40.jpg

the above shot is a blow up from an original shot like this one for Pentax:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/pentax135mmf3-5.jpg

Firstly try to click on the images and see the bigger pictures if you didn't try this before. Somehow it seems the site resize didn't do a favor to them.
Secondly it is hard to compare those images.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Firstly try to click on the images and see the bigger pictures if you didn't this before. Somehow it seems the site resize didn't do a favor to them.

Well I clicked on your picture and it gets smaller, but clicking on other member's shots and it doesn't improve them much either. I'm using Firefox.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***Firstly try to click on the images and see the bigger pictures if you didn't this before. Somehow it seems the site resize didn't do a favor to them.

Well I clicked on your picture and it gets smaller, but clicking on other member's shots and it doesn't improve them much either. I'm using Firefox.

It probably depends on your screen resolution. You can try to open a picture in a new window and compare it to what you see on the forum page. If you won't see any difference just forget this Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distagon 2/28 does not magnify as much in nearest focus position as the Flektogon 2.4/35.

Like the Distagon 1.4/35, the Distagon 2/28 does however have an internal floating element that optimizes performance at all focusing distances, and which, to quote Zeiss words, makes so that:

Quote:
the loss in image quality in the outer parts of the picture, otherwise disturbing, is largely compensated by this measure

Obviously, if the closeup foscuing is used to photograph a flower, with narrow DOF and plenty of artistic bokeh, the corner performance is not so important.

If instead the closeup focus is used to photograph, say, a particular of a stone friese or of a painting, uniform performance from centre to corner becomes important.

So ultimately even in closeup use there is no one purpose and no one instrument. It depends on the use, and on the expectations as well.

-